1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Mixing live rock

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guest, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I got another 40 or so lbs and 5 gallons worth of sand today.  I put them in my 72 gallon.  Now, the rock was in an established tank and was out of water for about 15 minutes or so.
    I have 45lbs curing for the last 5 or 6 weeks in my 55 gallon.  It was tons of brownish hair algae on it and I've been doing water changes for the past week or so since I was told to start doing so is.
    Now time is not a factor, but can I put the rock from my 55 with the one I just got in my 72?  If it takes longer to cure, no big deal.

2. JByrd

JByrd

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If its means anything I had that situation with my current tank.  I took all the rock out of my 75 gallon and purchased a 45 lb. box of Walt Smith rock and added that directly with my other rock in my current tank and just waited for my tank to cycle.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I mixed the two batches together.  Looks funny for right now, but I at least they're together.  There were some straggler snails in the batch I got from Dustin I hope survive.  I'm going to keep up on the water changes I well as I can to hope to enure their survival.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I better also mention.  I have two magnum 350's running on the tank right now.  They only have the filter pad and activated carbon in them.  Mainly for extra circulation, because the tank looks full of live rock right now and I'm trying to eliminate as much dead area as possible.  I have a small powerhead running, and the powerhead from my skimmer running also.  The space between the wall and the tank is too tight for the skimmer, but I planned to turn my 30 into a sump and I know I'll have enough room then.
    My 18 month old son liked to try to fit between the wall and the tank to get in the cabinet, so I had to set it closer to the wall than I wished.