1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

MISSING FISH.....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by saltwaternewbee, Feb 21, 2009.

1. saltwaternewbee

saltwaternewbee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    We have 2 tanks up and running and have missing fish in both. In the 220 we are missing a regal angel and 2 paired scissor tail gobbies(about 4" each) and in the 40 we are missing a sandsifter,yellowheaded jawfish and a firefish goby. The madarines in both tanks no longer sleep in the rocks. There's NO signs of carpet surfing or anyone in the the overflows. We saw the pair of st's on sunday nite and tuesday saw only 1..by thursday we had none.The only thing in common for both tanks are brittle stars.....could they be killing off the gobbies at nite?

2. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yeah they could, how big are the stars? i've seen mine try to eat my anemone so its in the sump now and last night my anemone ate my fireshrimp. i even fed my star and anemone big dried krill.

3. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    yeah brittle's are awesome fish killers. They will hide in the rock work and wait for fish to swim under them and daze off, then they slowly drop down grabbing the fish....the rest is pretty self explanatory.

4. saltwaternewbee

saltwaternewbee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It looks like it might be time to go brittle star fishing and put them in the sump where they belong.

5. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    You sure the scissortail and jawfish aren't somewhere behind your tank? I tore down my tank and cleaned it up and while organizing cables I found 3 dried up fish that I had lost over the past few years. They are hard to spot sometimes because they lose their color when they dry out. I lost a jawfish, yellow watchman goby, and a spotted mandarin.
    Or it could be the brittle star. In my inverts book that I have they call the Green Brittle Star "The Green Death".