1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Micro bubbles driving me INSANE!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jtown, May 14, 2009.

1. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I dont know what else to do! Ive replace the plumbing from return pump up to where lockline attaches to 90 elbow al water line. Return pump is a quiet one 4000 which is brand new. Tried a mag 18 on it and that produced 3 times as many bubbles so one would assume there is a small leak in the plumbing sucking air??? Wrong!
    Have a bubble trap between skimmer and return pump and there are absolutely no micro bubbles what so ever that are entering that chamber so what in the world could be causing this??? Im litterally ready to buy Bills 12 gauge and unleash on this thing! Im out of options.... I dont know what else to do. If anybody has any suggestion please help. PLEASE!!!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    I suggest buy my 12 ga LOL. Man that sounds pretty weired. Not much I can think of with out checking it out in person.

3. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Yup, shoot it.

4. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Justin, I know you said there are not any entering the pump but I just want to double check. Many times the water going over the partition going into the return chamber will create large bubbles because the water creates a waterfall action onto the surface of the next chamber. These larger bubbles then get sucked into the pump are chopped up into micro bubbles by the impeller. I have used gutter guard and filter floss on the partition to correct the problem.
    Other than that, the air has to be coming from somewhere, obviously. Look at the chamber where your pump is carefully to look for bubbles. If there are not any then it has to be drawn in somehere else.

5. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My tank did that for a few months when I first did all the plumbing work. I never did figure out where it was coming from. But what i did was turned the ball valve one the return line just a little to slow down the water. For some reason that helped my situation, and finally it just went away. I think if there is a air leak in the plumbing the salt creep will plug it up. Sorry not much help.

6. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Dude if you shoot it, let me know i will definately make a special trip up for that one :) i'm going to say that possibly your return pump/intake ratio may be off. but thats just me. I really dont know cuse i haven't had any issues with it personally, even after adding the mag18 to my tank

7. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok so i just spent the last 4 hours re plumbing everything from pump to the water and its like i didnt do a thing. Nothing changed! Im 99% sure its not bubbles coming over the divider either but just to be safe but filter floss there and a sponge to disapate if they were there... again NOTHING!!! How could a pump that is completely submerged create bubbles? Is it possible the needle wheel creats so much friction it make micro bubbles? Im no chemist but that just doesnt seem possible. I guess I will try a smaller pump like mag 5 or mag 7 before I freak out and sell the whole set up. Im fed up. Ive spent too much time and money on a stupid return pump and plumbing that I dont/cant even enjoy this tank!!!

8. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0

Have pics of the setup?

How many baffles/bubble traps in the sump?
    I had a similar issue until I grew enough cheato to fill the fuge acting like a bubble filter - I also installed some Oceanic foam around the pump in the last chamber - I'll try and get some pics.
    -Eric

9. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Some pics:
    Return pump when it was pumping micro bubbles
    [​IMG]
    Controlled with Cheato and filter foam
    [​IMG]
    Source of my bubbles
    [​IMG]

10. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    if it is a needle wheel pump it will create bubbles, pumps used for returns are mainly prop based. needle wheels are used mainly in skimmers to chop up water and create bubbles so that could be the problem in general, thats just my 2cents worth though, i'm not completely positive on that either.

11. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah my bad its not a needle wheel its a prop. I think it may just be too much pump because there is for sure no leaks in plumbing and im 98% sure its not sucking bubbles. Im going to try a smaller pump to see what happens and then go from there. llibcrie Im going to go get foam today and wrap my existing pump with it just to confirm my theory because I dont think they are coming from the sump itself. Stay tuned for updates and THANK EVERYBODY for all the help and ideas to fix this P.O.S.