1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

MH Bulb Replacement Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JB, Mar 13, 2008.

1. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I just recieved 3 new phoenix bulbs to relace my current phoenix bulbs which are near (or past) the end of thier life.
    My current bulbs are about 16 months old, but they have been run 8 hours or less per day for thier entire life.  They still look good (though I'm sure the new ones will be much brighter) and my corals seem to be growing well.
    My question is this:   How should I go about adding the new bulbs?   Should I lower the time my halides are on (currently 8 hours per day)?   If so, by how much and for how long?
    This is the first time I've had to replace my bulbs, so it's a bit of a learning experience for me.
    Thanks!
    -JB

2. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No question that the new bulbs will be brighter but I don't think it's going to be enough to have a negative impact on your livestock. If you were upgrading from 250W to 400W, there would be some concerns but not when you are swapping out the same bulb.

If anything, you could lower your current lights down closer to the tank so that they will get used to the intensity of the new bulbs. When you put the new ones in then I would raise it back up to where they are now.

3. Wenszoo

Wenszoo Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    what is the life expectancy of 250w MH's that are ran about 8-10hours a day?