1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Mexican Turbo Snails hard at work...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by REEFer Madness, Dec 21, 2008.

1. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have always had a bad hair algae problem.  This picture shows some hermit crabs playing in it, but this was how literally most of my rock work and glass looked like.
    [​IMG]
    Then with an order of different types of algae eaters, I grabbed some mexican turbo snails.  All the powerheads were covered worse with algae, these guys are working one of the last few places with major algae.
    [​IMG]
    The difference between the outside and the inside of this overflow box shows how much these things have eaten.
    [​IMG]
    Last is my pvc return.   It was completely covered with green and red cyano types of algae.  Now it looks almost like new.
    [​IMG]
    I've tried emerald crabs, hermit crabs, tangs, and other kinds of snails, but nothing really did a decent job until I got these big guys.  If anyone needs any algae eaten, I'm going to get rid of some of them because they are doing such a great job.  I have some rock in my sump they could eat for some time.

2. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Dang it looks like you had a small forest going on in there!!! [​IMG]

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    never new grass could grow under salt water lol

4. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It got really bad once I did 4 water changes in about 10 days before the fall fest.  I used wal-mart culligan water.  It just blew up after those changes and I couldn't really get it under control.  I did all the minor things I could, like having my lights on less and what not.  If it wasn't for the snails, I probably would have bought a lawnmore blenny before I started to put chemicals into the tank.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    gfo will take care of that mabey walmart had a bad membrian ? good luck