1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Metal Halide Questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bela, May 28, 2009.

1. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have never owned a metal halide before and had a few questions. I am looking at prices and see fast differences. is there a huge difference in quality? Are some useable for reef tanks and others are not? I am aware there are "special" bulbs for reef tanks but is the fixture and ballast different> I will add an eBay link here. I am not looking at getting this one, but would this work with the right bulb as for a canopy retrofit system? Trying to learn and not wanting to cut corners with prices but I also don;t want to pay a premium for a brand name when with a little extra work I could save tons of money.
     Thanks!
    Almost forgot the link!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/400-Watt-Metal-Halide-Grow-Light_W0QQitemZ120418835159QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c09859ad7&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1309|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

2. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow, I am not sure if I want to touch this one. [​IMG]  Just like any piece of equipment, you are going to find a lot of fans of this or that.  To be honest, a lot of it is subjective and I encourage you to go look at as many setups as possible.  Thus another reason why it's important to go on the GIRS tank tours!
    The first thing you should probably do is determine the wattage you are needing.  Usually the corals you keep and the size of tank will help determine it.  250W is probably the most common and you will find the largest selection here.
    As for bulbs, it depends on the PAR output you need for your corals and the color temperature you are looking for.  Sometimes you will find it in a double-ended bulb and sometimes in a single-ended bulb.  The combination of bulbs and ballast will also play a big role on the output so choose your ballast wisely as well. 
    Reflectors are another key component.  Spider light reflectors are antiquated by today's standards.  There's a few out reflectors in the market that will give you better spread and higher output.  Below is a link to lighting related articles written by Sanjay and his lighting configurator.  It will give you a ton of insight to lighting. 
    Sanjay Joshi
    Lighting configurator

3. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Great answer!  That second link has great info.  Thanks for sharing!  I'll put that link into our Wiki.
    --AJ

4. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    More of my question was ballast and fixture pricing. What is the difference between a 15- watt that sells for 400 bucks versus one that sells for 99 bucks? I understand that the bulbs and reflectors matter alot but that also doesn;t seem to be the majority of the price, unless I am wrong?

5. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Why does a Lexus cost more than a Toyota? They share the same chassis. They are essentially the same vehicle and it will get you from point A to point B.

It's all about the brand and features. A brand like Ice Cap is a premium brand due to its long-standing reputation for quality and service. It's not the cheapest but you know you are buying something that should last a long time and service, should you need it. Coralvue ballasts is cheaper and probably has similar output. So why would you pay more when you can get something similar that will do the same job?

6. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Makes a lot of sense. Thanks for all of the input everyone. I think I was just making the metal halide selecting a little more complicated in my head than it needed to be. This leaves me options to get products that are offbrand so long as I look into their reliability and track record. I have never been one to want something just because of the brand name.

Thanks again :)

7. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just remember, in this hobby you tend to get what you pay for!