1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Metal halide bulb

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wayne1, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Has anyone had the glass of a MH bulb break and fall off? Anyway it happened and the bad thing is the bulb was only 3-4 months old.   The bulb was a XM 175 watt 10,000k

2. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    nope never had it happen but im sure it has before .

did it get wet, or have a fan blowing on it? maybe salt spray from bubbles in the tank?

i do know that they must be clean, because the glass can fracture if it cools at different rates on the glass surface.

all i can say is that if you got it from a decent supplier that maybe they will trade it out.

if they wont give you a trade get a copy of your reciept and contact the maker and tell them your story, alot of times they will just give you a new one as long as it wasnt broke because of neglect, and they may want the old one.

you have a good chance of a replacement with reciept.

3. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How close do you have it to the surface of the water? I've heard many times that splashing wiil cause a bulb to break or shatter.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My lion used to thrash at the surface randomly, maybe yours flung some water at it? Any sign of salty water remnants on the reflector?

5. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I contacted Hellolights, no response yet. 6.5" . No signs of any splash or anything else. It happened immediately after the MH's turned on. The crazy thing is it was still working. Now my tank looks goofy with 2-10k bulbs and 1-20k bulb.

6. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    I had a brand new xm 250 BLOW UP after 10 minutes of use, fired it to see if it worked and shut it off, Five minutes later it blew up. I talked to hellolights and they said it happens something like 1 in 1000. I'm sure if you contacted hellolights or even xm they would want to do something about it.

7. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I tried Hellolights , i will try XM.
    thanks

8. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Wayne1 on 01/07/2008 3:38 PM
    I tried Hellolights , i will try XM.
    thanks
    what did they deny you a replacement?
    give them a call.

9. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No, i talked to Scott with hellolights, he said to email XM so that is what i did. He said if they don't do anything about it to contact him back and he would do something. It sounds kinda like the run around but i guess i will jump through there hoops.

10. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well Adam at XM lighting called me today and he talked to Hellolights, and they are replacing a broken one and the yellow one free!!!!!!!That's good customer service.