1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Meet and Greet Thread!

Discussion in 'Waterloo / Cedar Falls Area' started by DavidM199, Jan 22, 2009.

1. matt1971 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I live over by Kingsley school. It is surprising to find people with reeftanks that live in this area and I would like to see them.

2. matt1971 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I'm UNI alumni. Which building do I sneak into to see the reeftank? Biology?

3. DavidM199

DavidM199 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    well the club members are planning a pizza and bowling party next month at doughy joes then it. Apirl We are planning a Waterloo area tank tour.
    The uni tank in on the ground floor of the Science building. It is in the hallways next to the snakes, turtles, and alligator. One of area members (LEE) is in charge of taking care of the tank

4. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    I'm Jason Glaspie. We've had reef tanks for 6 or 7 years now, started small with a 5 gal and have had several different tanks since then. Our current tank is a 120g with a 50g sump. As for the club, we've been members for 6 years or so. I've been on the BOD 3 or 4 times now starting as a trustee and currently the president.

5. DavidM199

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Are you a technically a member? /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue2.gif

6. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    last time i looked i was

7. Jfalcons

Jfalcons

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just moving a few blocks. Not too far! I' m going to build my stand for the 90 gal. this weekend so I can get it going. How hard is it to find CHEAP live rock?? Gonna need maybe 50+ lbs. The cheapest I found is in Manchester $3.99/lb. That's pretty cheap I think??

8. DavidM199

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yea 3.99 is not bad.
    U can also get about 10lb of live rock and get some dead rock online and let the live rock feed the dead rock

9. jwess

jwess

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey y'all, Im Josh. I live in CF and am currently working a new 120RR. Its been a PIA but looking forward to the end result. My goal for today is to get all my corals in the new tank without any breakage or loss.

10. matt1971 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Looking for new/used 48" Metal halide preferably 2X250 fixture with t5 or pc actinic blue. about 760 total watts. Anything out there better than ebay?

11. matt1971 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    jwess's tank is impressive. Thanks for the trade.
    The UNI tank is very nice. Thanks for the tip.
    I hope to see more nice tanks and aquire more corals in this area.

12. DavidM199

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hey Matt if you want to stop over some night and check out my tank 
    let me know

13. matt1971 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Davidm199,
    I would like to see your tank sometime... do you have anything interesting for sale? If you have free time this weekend just pm me the time and place.
    Matt

14. matt1971 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Anyone interested in a Leopard Moray Eel? 3-4 feet long. Eats anything and everything. One dollar per foot. I might even deliver in w'loo/cf.

Today could've been bad- One end of my light was in the water and the other end was in my hands- and it was turned on.

15. DavidM199

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yikes!!!

What were you trying to do?? Thats one way to get some new lights

Anything happen to the lights?

16. matt1971 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I want to move in SPS. It seems there are differing opinions on the topic of Mh vs. t5ho. I am thinking of moving from 260w pc to 6x54 t5ho over a 55 gallon. My second consideration is 8x54 t5ho but I think this might not be necessary. Electricity costs are one reason why I am thinking of using t5ho instead of Mh.
    The best I have found is on ebay- $299 6X54, separate reflectors, 5 yr. warranty, made in the USA.
    $389 for same light but 8X54. $349 for 2X250 MH plus actinic pc for a total of 760 watts, but it is odeyssa, made in China. I can find a US made but it will cost more.
    I'm mulling over it for a while. Any opinions? From experience?

17. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0

I would go with this retro kit from Ics Cap
    [​IMG]

18. ReefNinja GIRS Member

Cedar Falls, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Hi, my name is Brian and I live in Traer, which is about 20 minutes from Cedar Falls.  I have a 125G Reef Tank and a 20G Sump.  I have been in the hobby for about a year now and I am glad that there are people locally I can chat with about the hobby.

I just became a member today and I look forward to talking and meeting with everyone at some time.

ReefNinja

19. DavidM199

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    welcome to the club!!

We are planning a poker game/ pool/ hangout for the 14th in waterloo, you are welcome to come and check out some of the other tanks in the area.

What do you have for livestock in your tank

20. ReefNinja GIRS Member

Cedar Falls, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I would love to come but I will be out of town that weekend.  I will have to take a raincheck,  I love poker...  although not that good at it  [​IMG]
    I currently have in my 125 Gallon:
    - Blond Naso Tang
    - Yellow Tang
    - Blue Hippo Tang
    - One Spot Foxface
    - 4 Ocellaris Clownfish "Nemo's"
    - 2 Brittle Stars
    - 2 Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
    - Banded Coral Shrimp
    I have just started slowly adding Corals to my tank:
    - 2 Kenya Trees
    - Small Button Polyps