1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Meet and Greet Thread!

Discussion in 'Waterloo / Cedar Falls Area' started by DavidM199, Jan 22, 2009.

1. DavidM199

DavidM199 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just thought we should have a thread that everyone could put a little about them. Describe your setup, how long you been in the hobby for and so on.
    That way if someone is interested in corals, they know who to get a hold of. 
    I am David, live near Hammond Ave in Waterloo. I have a 75 gal RR tank w/ a 100gal stock tank sump in the basement. I run six t5s and have a little bit of everything from mushrooms to softies to sps. I have been in the hobby for about 3 and half years.

2. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I'm Adam, I live close to campus on Olive St. in Cedar Falls. I have a 72 gal bow front tank with a 55 gal sump. I run 4 VHOs and 4 PC bulbs retrofitted in a canopy. I too have pretty much every type of coral. I've been in the hobby for about a year now. I work at Mad Hat Pets in Waterloo, so you might see me there sometime...

3. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Hi, my name is Caig & I am a reefaholic.

I have been in about 5 years now. I am working on my fourth set up. I have a good size fish room that will hold 2 in wall 250G tanks. One will be for sps & 1 for LPS. Each tank currently has a 100 gall fuge that is 8ft x 4ft x 1 ft. I will be adding a frag tank that will be 8 x 2 x 1 on each one in the future.

I am also setting up some tanks to breed fish. I am going to start with clowns & pseudochromids & peppermint shrimp.

I live just south of La Porte City.

4. wolfman1973

wolfman1973 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    dan here and i live on madison st in waterloo.i have a 90 in wall mixed reef, 75 fish only and a 29 mantis tank with some shrooms and zoes. i have had some sort of fish only setup off and on for the past 15 years. i have been getting into corals for about a year now. started with mainly different frags here and there and a couple of clams.everything is doing well and growing. i to am becoming a reefaholic and it seems to be more addicting than crack!!!!!

5. champ23

champ23 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm Champ, I live in Cedar Rapids by Kirkwood. I have a 12 gallon aquapod (small, i know right.) with a 16.5" 70w Sunpod. I've got some zoos, sps, but mainly lps. I have a 40 breeder I'm currently thinking about turning into a reef tank. And like everyone else am turning into a reefaholic.

6. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I'm Jeremy M from Evansdale, I have a 125 gallon display that is light with 3 400 watt 20k XM bulbs from there it goes to a 30 gallon sump that holds a Octopus NW-200 and some red mangroves. Next it goes to a 55 gallon propagation tank that is lit by a 250 watt XM 10k, this tank can hold 100's of frags and also my Warner Marine Skimmer. Finally, a 100 gallon refugium which is lit but some normal output flourecent bulbs, and holds a huge wad of cheatomorpha. From there it goes back to Blue Line external pump which pumps the back up to the display. I also have a very large CA reactor which helps keep my Alk and Ca levels up to par. The tank is mostly SPS dominated but has a few softies, clams, and LPS species For fish i have a Coperband Butterfly, 10 lyretail anthias, a Hippo Tang, Royal Gramma, 4 stripe damsel, and a few others i can't think of right now. Also I should mention the entire system is controlled by an Aqua Controller III.

I also have a 29 gallon Bio Cube, which is lit by the stock lighting and has Sapphire Aquatics Skimmer. For inhabitants i have lots of different zoas, softies and some LPS corals.

I used to be a reefoholic, now i just have a lot of stuff.

7. Jfalcons

Jfalcons

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm Jay. I live off of Rainbow Dr. in Cedar Falls. I have a 55 gallon reef with mushroom leather, torch, frogspawn, xenia, kenya tree, trumpet, zoas, and different mushrooms. For fish, I have yellow tang, sailfin tang, singapore angel, and 2 saddle-back clowns. Today I purchased a 90 gallon tank. I'm moving in about a month, so I figured it would be a good time to up-grade!!!!! This is a VERY addicting hobby!!!!!

8. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Right on J, welcome to the site, where are you moving too?

9. Iamaxxer

Iamaxxer Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey, Ross here. I live out in rural Waverly. I would call myself a newbie at SW.
    Kids gave me a 90g reef ready tank for Christmas. I ordered my skimmer today a MSX200. Will pickup up my glass panels from Allen's Glass on Monday to assemble the 30g sump. So I'm very much in the building/ learning stage of this hobbie.
    A few of my other interestes include, a liscened FFL dealer, anodizing aluminum,hunting and kayaking....

10. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    OK I will be the first to ask, what is an FFL dealer sell?

11. Iamaxxer

Iamaxxer Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Guns

12. DavidM199

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i will be the second to ask! Where do u go kayaking at. I have been going up to upper iowa a couple times a year for the last couple. We have been wanting to get a couple, maybe this year.

I also have two jetski, and i am on the cedar river all summer anywhere from waverly down to the dam in cedar falls

13. Iamaxxer

Iamaxxer Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    We do the Cedar, Shellrock, Turkey, Iowa and the Winnabago, and the lake in Minnesota where the father-inlaws house is....
    Check out Crawdaddy's up in Waverly they have 3or4 kayaking trips on local rivers during the summer..and even trips up to the boundry waters....Last summer I was banned from the yak by my shoulder, hope that don't happen this year......

14. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I need to stock up on some guns, I'll be in touch. Maybe we could trade some frags for say a .357 or a .9mm

LOL

15. DavidM199

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    its always fun to move a tank. How far do u have to move it?

16. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Lee Weber
    I currently Live in Cedar Rapids where I keep a 20g mixed reef, but also travel to waterloo/CF at least once a week where I take care of UNI's 220g mixed reef and attend class.  I also have a 125g weed tank in Jesup, IA that is overgrown with GSP, xenia, leathers, and a few other things.  I've been in the hobby since approx. 2003/2004.  I like to hang out here on the GIRS site quite a bit so I can procrastinate from doing my homework /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

17. DavidM199

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
     Trader!!  /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/mad.gif

18. matt1971 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I'm from Waterloo and have a 55g and 75g reef- both are packed with some LPS and soft corals- 100's of watermelon mushrooms, about 100 green ricordeas, an 18" diameter bubble tip anonome, mats of star polyps that are greater than 12", a sun coral, zoas, buttons, candy cane, and a lot of other usual stuff. I'm running compact PC and need to upgrade to metal halide/t5. I like to trade or pick up cheap frags. I've got about 10 years experience but don't invest a fortune on supplies anymore. I'm disappointed in all the LFS in this area and like to visit other stores when I travel. I'm just now starting to check out this site.

19. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Hey welcome to the site.

Sounds like you have some pretty cool stuff, you shouldnt have any problem finding trading partners or buyers for frags.

20. DavidM199

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    welcome You will find lots of deals here!

what part of waterloo do you live in?

I live right of hammond