1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Me! Jen D!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Jen D, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Jen D

Jen D

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi all! I'm Jen.
    My husband and I set up our 29g FO in the fall of 2006. We bought a house and moved in the summer of 2007. At that point, I decided to upgrade to a 55g, so I put everything into 2x10g tanks while I worked on the new system. Now, a year and a half later, all I have left is my clown fish, Chloe, and ~30 lbs of live rock. I'm still working on the upgrade and have been making some progress the last few months. In the spring, my husband and I are going to remodel our living room (pull out carpet and terrible ceiling tiles) and I plan to have the tank ready to set up as soon as we're finished.
    I've lived in the Des Moines area my entire life. I graduated from ISU in Spring 2005 with a BS degree in Animal Science. I worked in molecular biology for 3 yrs and recently switched to computer support of research-related software applications and LIMS systems. I've worked at Pioneer Hi-bred in Johnston since June 2006.
    Married. No kids. Two dogs and a cat.
    That's me![​IMG]

2. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the site Jen. I would love to hear more about your tank build process...where it's at right now, what you plan on doing to it, etc.

--AJ

3. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Cool welcome to both of you.

4. Jen D

Jen D

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Here's a link to my build thread on RC.

[url=http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1539932]Jen D's 55g Upgrade[/url]

If that doesn't work, you can copy/paste this: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1539932

5. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Does anybody use LIMS these days? I see them only useful for gigantic labs that produce a huge amount of genetic data. Otherwise, I don't see much of a market. Well, maybe Pharma companies like to keep track of every ounce of enzyme and every gel

Welcome to GIRS

6. Jen D

Jen D

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Some of our larger research groups use LIMS.

7. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Cool. I like that cabinet. If you're planning to use Metal Halides, you will probably want to build some ventilation into that hood. Should give you plenty of room to store a bunch of your stuff inside the canopy area. Looks good.

--AJ

8. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm a molecular biology grad student that maintains a hand coded (all by me) social network for the sciences. You might be interested. http://www.labspaces.net

9. Jen D

Jen D

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I bought a used 4x54W T5 retro-fit off of the RC forums several months ago.

10. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome Jen! Nice to see another lady in the hobby :) I'm working on setting up a 135g....I have a 75g running now.

11. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Hey Jen, come have a beer with us at 7 tonight Friday at rock bottom. I know a few people at Pioneer, maybe I know a few people you know.

12. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Welcome Jen,
    The Des Moines area has quite a few events coming up. Be sure to check our calendar in the Des Moines area forum or on the GIRS site calendar. You have found the place to get your answers and help with anything you need regarding your tank. Please don't hesitate to ask, we have many years of knowledge amongst us.
    Hope to see you at an upcoming meeting or atleast the frag swap at the Zoo March 28th.
    Welcome,
    Joel