1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Maxxima Hi-S RO/DI Filter Hook up help!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gb387, May 31, 2008.

1. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    OK, so I just purchased a Maxxima Hi-S RO/DI filter locally used, it came with two new filters (I am purchasing the other) but my questions whats the water flow in line, the water flow out line and I guess the waste line(am I correct in saying that)?  Any help would be great, I have looked online for instructions but no luck. 
    P.S. I know how to hook it up its just that I don't know what line is what.

2. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The input line should go into the sediment filter first. From there it should go through your carbon block filter(s) and then into the top of the RO membrane. On the oposite side of the RO Membrane housing, you should have two outlets, one for waste and one for filtered water should flow into your DI, but there may be other stuff in the mix (like an auto-shutoff).
    See if this diagram helps you out.
    -JB

3. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the help.... I now have the filters, not totally sure its the proper sediment filter as the package wasn't marked, so where do you guys purchase your replacement filters? Anyone bought any from ebay or are they too 'cheap' - is it best to stick with name brand?

4. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have it all hooked up and running but, does it really waste that much water?

5. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    the hose that comes from the center part of the end of the membrane housing is the good water outlet, the one that is more to the side is the waste water hose.
    they are both on the same end of the housing.

yes there is much waste.

6. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I did discover I am missing the flow restrictor... I need to order one of them and I will be set. I knew there would be some waste but I have way too much waste!
    Right now I have a small valve on the waste line to restrict the flow....  not sure its the best idea but its working now.  What happens if there is too much restriction?
    One more thing....  Is there something needed to prepare the RO/DI water for use? (other than salt) 

7. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    If the unit is working right, it will probably generate 4 gallons of waste for every gallon of RO/DI produced. I was shocked when I first got mine, but when you consider how cheap water is, it's not that big of a deal. Just make sure it's using an auto-shutoff, otherwise it will continue generating waste even when your storage tank is full (unless you turn off the feed water).

-JB