1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Matt`s Tank Build, Year 2.... and counting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mnballard, Jan 1, 2008.

1. mnballard

mnballard

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have some plywood that I'm painting black to throw on the back of it, had to make it removable so that I can see into it from the fish room. Just letting the paint air out before I bring it in.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    gahh, i wanted those hydors so bad... acourse, i really wanted the phosban reactor too...

nice progress!

3. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    your tank looks really good, i cant wait to see the rock in it.
    those bolts look sturdy enough, if you are worried just stack some shims along the lengths of wood.

4. DavidM199

DavidM199 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It is my dream that in a 1 or 2years, to buy my first house and right away there is going to be a tank in the wall. I love the cleam look of that

5. mnballard

mnballard

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It's starting to look like the real thing, got some rock in there now and time to let it get started.

[​IMG]
    The water has cleared up nicely.  I'm having some problems with microbubbles, I think I didn't leave enough room between bbaffles in the bubble traps in my sump, the panels are an inch apart and the flow looks like it is just to fast for the microbubbles to rise to the top.  Any ideas on that or is my thinking off and they come from somewhere else?

6. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow, your tank is really coming along Matt! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif I really like the aquascaping, great job! What else are you using for flow aside from your return pump and Koralia? Also, what types of corals do you plan on keeping in the tank?

7. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    First off, nice looking tank man! Are the bubbles coming from the return? Mine used to do that and turning the flow down from the return seemed to solve the problem. Another thought, i you just set this up and the tank isn't cycled you are going to have a few bubbles here and there, those will go away on their own.

Find out where the bubbles are coming from and you should be able to get them taken care of. What kind of skimmer are you running?

8. mnballard

mnballard

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I plan on keeping softies and lps eventually.  I'm not running a skimmer yet, the live rock that I just put in came right out of another tank and I don't want to starve it off.  I have a red sea berlin turbo XL skimmer hooked up for now, just not letting any air into it yet.  I haven't seen any cycle start yet, ammonia is at .25 and everything else at 0 so I will give it some time and see if they calm down.  How do tanks normally empty into sumps anyway?  I have mine coming in at a 70 degree angle with half the return submerged and half above the water line so that the air doesn't gurgle up big bubbles, but it seems to be making a lot of bubles and some surface foam and I think that's where I'm getting the bubbles from.   Here is a picture of the water coming into the sump and you can see what I mean.  Any suggestions or comments much appreciated.
    [​IMG]

9. Bullet

Bullet Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I woulld use a reverse Durso. If you could also make a little chamber for the return water to go into that the water can exit through the bottom and the bubbles will go to the top...that would help out too.

And start looking for a better skimmer /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif just my opinion /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

10. Anna

Anna Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I really like your aquascape! Keep us posted on the progress!

11. mnballard

mnballard

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the input, I'll construct a reverse durso this weekend. The micro bubbles have tapered off as the tank cycles and the only source now seems to be from dumping into the sump, the reverse durso should fix it. The piece of rock on the right is about a 25 lb piece my wife brought back on a plane fifteen years ago, she's happy to see it in a tank again.

I'm trying to decide between getting a couple of powerheads and a wavemaker or constructing a surge device out of a ten gallon tank to change up the flow a little bit. Has anyone built one with success or is the safer bet to go with the electric wavemaker?

12. mnballard

mnballard

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Here's an update and some new pics, full tank shot first
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG], but they are coming up with water changes with RC and B-Ionic.  My hats off to Drs F&S by they way for sending the right stuff without hassle quickly after their mistake.
    I did find this guy in my tank and have no idea how he came in, must have been in the live rock, anyway, he made a dinner out of one of my astrea snails and moved into his home which earned him a permanent place in my refugium, but he is the prettiest small hermit crab that I have seen so far[​IMG].
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for looking and all of the great input!

13. gm333

gm333 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Looks good so far, one thing that will help with the hair algae is manual removal and tons of crabs.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Lawnmower Gobies, and Foxfaces I have heard also chow down on hair algae. They are both reef safe, and both would look great in your tank.

15. mnballard

mnballard

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    OK, so it's been awhile..... time to continue my quest to own the slowest build thread on this board, we all have our goals in life.  Here is the most recent full tank shot October 5th after installing my 8 bulb TEK t5's and another 120lbs of rock. 
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, my tank has now passed up the abilities of my camera.
    I would like to say thanks to everyone who has helped me and those who have sold to me.  This club is definately the difference between success and failure in the hobby.  The advice has been invaluable.