1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Matt`s Tank Build, Year 2.... and counting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mnballard, Jan 1, 2008.

1. mnballard

mnballard

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

First of all, let me say what a great site this has become and what a great group of people this has been, the discussions and advice given have been priceless.  My journey started about a year ago when my wife told me I needed a hobby,  I  told her I would like to have a saltwater aquarium again, I had one about fifteen years ago....my how things have changed!  
    First was planning on where to put my 55 gallon stand that I was planning on, then on which wall to mount the 75 gallon in.  I settled on a four foot section in our basement that is totally wasted space to put my 90 gallon in.  I then went to my first GIRS meeting and after talking with some people there, mwood specifically, I decided on a 120 gallon, the biggest that I can practically fit into the space.  55 gallons to 120 in five days................that's what it's all about[​IMG]
    The is the "fish room" with the sink and counter.
    [​IMG], I got up the nerve to cut out the drywall and frame the tank in, here is what it looks like from the front.
      [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    For me, the creativeness of building this and solving all of the problems that come up is truly enjoyable.  The first problem was how to level the stand on an unlevel cement floor.  After much thought, here are the "legs" that I put under my stand, there are eight of them with the front of the stand fastened the studs in the wall.
    [​IMG]
    The legs seemed to work quite well, although I havn't water tested it yet.  Here are a few other pictures of the back of the tank and the sump area.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm thinking of using two of these totes to make my sump, they only deflect 1/4 inch overnight when filled with water.   It's either that or making one out of a 40 gallon breeder, I havn't decided yet.  Just another little thing I need to break to my wife.  I swear that after telling her what I'm buying for the tank, it might have been better for my health to keep smoking.............
    My son liked the idea of a saltwater tank so much, he got one of his own, a 55 gallon FOWLR set up in his bedroom, outdone by a sixth grader.  I'll have water in it soon..............I think I've told myself that before.  
    My next purchase is probably going to be a compact III from Air water and ice.  Any thoughts are always appreciated and again, thanks to all who share their advice here.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i dont know if there are supposed to be pictures, but i dont see any?

sounds like a fun project.

3. mnballard

mnballard

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It would make much more sense with photos, I'm experiencing technical difficulty at the moment.  It keeps placing the pictures in the wrong place.  Sorry bout that.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    its cool. youll figure it out, or you could just post em at the bottom and we can figure it out..? hahah.

5. mnballard

mnballard

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    OK I think I figured the pics out, but there has to be an easier way.  I put them in in design mode, then had to go to HTML Mode and change the picture position from absolute to relative.  There really has to be an easier way[​IMG]
    Anyway, I think it's readable now, enjoy.

6. acidlittle

Beaverdale
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    How much did you pay for the 120 if you don't mind me asking? I'm trying to find one just like the one you have. That or if somebody could custom make me a 48"x 20"x24" that would work even better!
    Great build thread, keep us posted on how it goes!
    What are you going to be throwing in there? Or rather what are you planning on stocking it with?

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    that looks awesome man!

8. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    that does look awsome what are you going to light it with

9. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good idea with the legs. How long are the bolts?

10. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Be careful with the bolts on the height adjusters, that severly limits your contact surface. If your concrete was not properly mixed you could see some crushing under the bolts over time, especially with water soaking, etc. You might consider a small piece of metal under each leg to better distribute the weight, i.e. 3" x 3" piece of 1/4" plate.

Billy

11. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Looking good.

I'd take Billy's advice on distrubuting the weight out a little more.

Where are you located I can probably round you up some scrap steel if you're close.

12. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    ^ ditto, your placing your entire tank weight on 8 point loads, it would be much better for you to go with the small peices of steel plate under each bold and spread the load, if possible it would be better to get 1/2 steel and run it under all the bolts this would spread the load over the length of the steel

13. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Why not just get a green treated 2" by 6''. That would take care of the weight better, and you don't half to worry about rust.

14. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Wayne1 on 01/02/2008 7:13 PM
    Why not just get a green treated 2" by 6''. That would take care of the weight better, and you don't half to worry about rust.
    Wood is for wimps!  Real men use STEEL!  /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/cool.gif
    Paint it up real good and it will be fine.

15. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't disagree but it would probally be easier to get than steel. Unless you got a reefer buddy to get it for him.

16. mnballard

mnballard

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thanks for the Input on the legs, they are 4" bolts fit in tightly so there won't be any wobble issues.  The front edge of the tank is supported by the wall.  I think my dad has some 1/4" stainless laying around, that ought to do just fine, I'll back them out and slide it under no problem.  The way they put these houses up in the 90's, about all I'm sure of is that there is at least 1/2" of concrete there................

The good news is it holds water and no leaks in my plumbing!!!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The sump is just temporary while I water test and see how it works.  I'm very happy with how quiet it is.  I would like to light it with two 250W Metal Halides, I would probably have no chance of winning the heat battle with 400's.  
    [​IMG]
    As for stocking, I want to have a heavily stocked mixed reef, I havn't exactly planned it out, but whatever it is, I'm probably on the ten year plan to get there

17. mnballard

mnballard

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, It finally has happened, and even beforee he** froze over, although last week was pretty cold!  I think I'm ready to put living things into the tank.  I have the water, some dry aragonite sand and a couple pieces from my tank 15 years ago in there.  I built a sump out of a 40 gallon breeder and it fit just perfect.
    [​IMG]  I go to pick up 90 lbs of live rock sometime this week and we are off and running.

18. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nice to see it up and running Matt.

I will have to come over and check it out some time.

19. mnballard

mnballard

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, I'm looking forward to getting the rock this week and hopefully making it look half as good as yours!

20. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Are you planning on painting/covering the back with anything? or is it going to be "see through" to your fish room?