1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Mason city

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Bzishka, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Bzishka

Bzishka Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i was just wondering if i am the only person in this dam town that is interested in fish and reef keeping, i always see the wanted/for sale adds, i always gotta drive to cedar rapids cedar falls, or waterloo, anybody ever around mason city to check out and possibly give me some insight to keepng fish

2. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I live in Cedar Falls but I come see my girlfriend about once a month and she lives in Mason City, what do you need help with?
    You know about the store "Feathers and More" right? They have about 25 saltwater tanks and a 75 gallon coral tank.
    Let me know if you need any help with anything.
    Adam

3. Bzishka

Bzishka Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ya i know of feathers and more, lyle is a good guy, although they run all 25 of those saltwater tanks with different pumps, wait wait wait, lets save the "feathers and more" conversation for a diff. day, they do have some nice frags, for 31 bucks a half dead coral. wait i already said a different conversation.

i don't necessarily need help, but there isn't anybody in this town to check out my tanks, trade/or sell anything, or tell me if some of the things i am doing are a good idea

4. MULE

MULE Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By bzishka on 04/06/2009 09:43 AM
    ya i know of feathers and more, lyle is a good guy, although they run all 25 of those saltwater tanks with different pumps, wait wait wait, lets save the "feathers and more" conversation for a diff. day, they do have some nice frags, for 31 bucks a half dead coral. wait i already said a different conversation.
    i don't necessarily need help, but there isn't anybody in this town to check out my tanks, trade/or sell anything, or tell me if some of the things i am doing are a good idea
    I live about 40 miles from Mason.There has to be other reefers  in Mason because I see people around the frag tank most the time  I'm in  there,I never have time to chat tho. as my life runs 200 mph this time of year.Lyle is a good man ,at times he is spread a little thin.....I 'm trying to be supportive of them and buy my stuff from them as opposed to off the net,or pet co.But dammm,they make it tuff.I have been trying to get them to order me a 30 gal. breeder since early last year.Flat worm exit and chemi pur elite since Jan...on and on and on.It seems that they genuinely do not care.I even offered to pay in advance.They do get some nice zoas in from time to time but they always seem to be over ran with vermetid snails [​IMG].
    I wonder if there is enough people in the area to start a branch of GIRS ????

5. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    About 6-8 months ago I met a guy who was at Emporium Pets in Waterloo and he said he was from Mason City. He said he had something like a 200 gallon saltwater tank or so. Not sure the details cuz it's been a while, but you can't really hide a tank like that. I remember him talking about it was built into his basement. Maybe someone here knows who it is. He was about 35-40 years old, real nice guy. He said he talked to people a lot on Reef Central and he always bought top of the line stuff.

6. Bzishka

Bzishka Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Does anybody remember saigon aquatics? thats the place to go, to bad they closed down like three yrs ago, petco is mason city, lets just compare it to a fish grave yard, i actually made the mistake of buying a fish from wal-mart. whoops, never do that again,

so lyle is the only guy left around here, usually i just drive to cedar rapids or mankato when i need a fish, i have tried and tried to get feathers and more to order me fish, multiple times, i am still waiting for a figure eight puffer, (another one) i asked to put the order in a couple months ago, youd think they would get the point that i will spend money on fish, or equipment but they never wanna take the steps to keep me comig back, its bad enough i already have to buy 2 mice and 5 dozen crickets every week from them. Don't get me wrong Lyle is a really good guy, i will sit and bulls*** with him everytime i come in there.

I Will say that they do have the best fish in town. But what else is there?