1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Maroon Clowns not hosting BTA??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mr.jeff.wagner, Jan 29, 2008.

1. mr.jeff.wagner

mr.jeff.wagner Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well I recently received what I think is a BTA.  Please note the picture below.  My big 3-4" female maroon clown and newly added 1" male dont even notice the BTA.
    The BTA is also shriveled up for some reason... I just got it a couple days ago.  It does open up more when the lights turn off.
    Do I just have dumb clowns?  Or is it not a true BTA and not one of the anemones suitable for maroons?  Also, its quite small, maybe 3" across fully opened... too small for my female?
    [​IMG]

2. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Looks like a bleached condy or a haitian anemone to me...both of those aren't really normally a host for clowns...but I have seen one or two that have been.

Also, clowns don't always host things. or sometimes they just host something else. Or it will take them time to do it and then boom they just host in something one day. Clowns are fickle like that.

3. mr.jeff.wagner

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the info... I had heard/read that maroons are the ones that host their anemones the quickest... which is why I didnt know why they hadnt yet.

4. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    That looks like a dieing? sebae anemone to me. But definitely not a BTA, which is why the maroon isnt hosting.

5. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    After getting more of the story I don't think it's dying at all, it's only been in the tank for two days, I think it just needs some time to get more comfortable

6. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What kind of lights was it in before you got it? If it's opening up more with just the actinics, maybe it just needs time to adjust to your lighting? Maybe the clowns just need some time to get used to the new thing in the tank........ where are they now in your tank? They usually pick an area or some type or coral to hang out at/defend. My old maroon "hosted" a zoa colony for lack of an anemone. I had a pair of perculas that "hosted" a rock covered in blue mushrooms....... you just never know what they'll pick /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif" align="absmiddle" border="0">  I think it looks like a condy to me too.
    Also, what is the anemone next to?  May not like it's neighbors........

7. mr.jeff.wagner

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It was in T5 lighting before in a 90 gallon tank. The guy didnt have the best lighting so maybe it is just getting used to the light. I guess i will have to be patient and let it set for a while.

I put it on the rock its on right now more towards the sand and it moved up to the top of the rock the first night. It is next to a leather and a few mushrooms and on top of a few star polyps.

I have seen some sebae's with maroons hosting them (or at least pics on the internet). Hopefully this will happen, otherwise i will just have to get one of those nice RBTA's from debbie on RC!

8. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    Just please keep in mind that if the anemones aren't hosting in the anemone, switching the anemone out for a new one isnt going to fix or speed up anything, it can take months before clowns settle into an anemone reguardless of the type, they'll host in it if you give them time to get use to it.

9. reeffreak3652

reeffreak3652 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Its definately a Sebae Anemone. It is also a bit bleached as most Sebae's are after shipping stress. It will get a darker tan/green when it gets healthy. Every compatibility chart that ive read state that Maroon Clowns are not natural hosts for Sebae Anemone's.

10. wesly2007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

my maroons started hosting within hours of puting anemones in.  I never tried a sebae though.  they hosted a couple of anemones that I put in the aquarium all of them right away 

thats defonately not a BTA

11. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My maroon started hosted my BTA a day after he was added to the tank. On the other hand, the pair of ocellaris clownfish refused to go near my BTA for a year and ended up hosting a frogspawn and then a goniopora.

I'm unsure if many people have had a marroon host a sebae. You can always post in the clown forums on RC and see what they say.

I bet if you put an E. quadricolor anemone in the tank, your clown will take to it posthaste.

BTW in the pic you posted, the foot of the anemone does not look like it is attached to the rock. Has it attached itself to the rock yet? My BTA bleached due to heat in the summer and I fed it cut up silverside pieces to keep it going strong until it recovered. You might want to see if you can get it to eat something.
    Chris

12. mr.jeff.wagner

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well I came home from work today and the male was in the anemone!  Excited was I!  This is very good because I am quite impatient.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. mr.jeff.wagner

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oh yeah, I also fed them some Mysis shrimp and he took a piece down to the anemone and spit it out. It was great!

14. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I never had an anemone but my clowns were always in my big toadstool leather. It would actually kind of wrap them up inside it. Kind of neat to see.

15. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Jackpot. That's great! I've always liked the look of the sebaes.

16. reeffreak3652

reeffreak3652 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Congrats!! I think a clownfish burried in an Anemone looks awesome!