1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

March Meeting

Discussion in 'Cedar Rapids & Iowa City Region' started by Steph & Nick, Mar 2, 2008.

1. hopper75

hopper75

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Count me in for one Caleb.

2. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Would I be able to make 2? I was down for one, but I'd like to make (and pay for of course) 2 if I could for Anna, who can't make the meeting.

3. iowareef

iowareef Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I am all for going cheap and saving money when I can.
    I have extra acrylic you can use.  I have a few pieces that are like 6" by 6'.  And then cut it up.  It is clear.  Used for the bottom piece I guess.    You can use it for the sides if you want to tint it yourself (paint the inside)  I'll check the size and quantity again to be sure.
    Josh

4. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i met with the guy at the plastics place and got the price to $5 per box. that's with black acrylic sides and a clear polycarbonate bottom. he gave me a cut of the the black stuff to work with, i am going to make a template and use my heat gun to soften the acrylic and bend it into form. then i will pre-cut everything at home on the table saw and bring the pieces ready to bend and weld at the meeting.

i also got my tds meter today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i'll bring it to the meeting.

5. Steph & Nick

Steph & Nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thanks for figuring that out caleb, $5 is awesome!

6. Steph & Nick

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Here are the directions to the meeting next weekend!
    1835 Ridgeview Ct Cedar Rapids (call if you get lost 365-3064)

From
    I-380: Take
    Hwy 30E exit and follow directions below.

From Mt Vernon Road:

[list type=decimal][*]Take Mount Vernon Road
    to Hwy 13, turn right at the 4 way stop and go south 4 miles.[*]Turn left onto Blaines Crossing Rd[*]Turn left onto Rustic Ln[*]Turn left on Woodland Dr[*]Turn right on Blackberry Ln[*]Turn left on Skyline Dr[*]Turn left on Ridgeview Ct[*]House 1835 on the right

From Hwy
    30:

Take Hwy 30 to the Hwy 13 exit, go north
    2 miles.Turn right onto Blaines Crossing RdTurn left onto Rustic LnTurn left on Woodland DrTurn right on Blackberry LnTurn left on Skyline DrTurn left on Ridgeview CtHouse 1835 on the right[/list type=decimal]

7. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    the more i get into this the more i feel like 8x8x4 is HUGE. i know that's the size they are on foster and smith, but people have to fit these under canopies, around their lighting, and into their tanks. just from holding my camera and measuring my hand and camera i don't see a need for the thing to be any larger than 6x5x4.
    let me know how you feel about this, and what sizes you would all want. i am actually going to have to make an even smaller box for myself because i have that 33 long with a light over it and i can barely get my forearm in there, so the template i am making will be for you guys only, i have no personal interest in the size. i just thought it may be helpful to you if it wasn't big enough to fit your head in.
    just let me know.
    ~caleb

8. Steph & Nick

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    our tank is pretty open, i am good with whatever size others are wanting

9. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm fine with the original size as well

10. Wenszoo

Wenszoo Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    same here

11. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ok, original it is.

12. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Me too.

13. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By phishcrazee on 03/17/2008 5:11 PM
    Would I be able to make 2? I was down for one, but I'd like to make (and pay for of course) 2 if I could for Anna, who can't make the meeting.
    i'm sorry, i didn't see this before. no problem, you can make 2

14. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ok, i picked up the supplies for the boxes and i was a little off on the price. the price he gave me before was just for the black sides, so the cost for the black sides and clear bottom together is $6, then i had to pick up some plastic welder for $4 and a applicator bottle for $4, so we could call it $7 per box and i should pretty much break even, i'm not going to include my cost for supplies to make the template because i was able to use scrap that i had around.

i will bring my tds meter tomorrow, so bring some of your RO if you want me to test it. i'll also be bringing an API saltwater masters test kit and API reef masters test kit and a sample of water from my reef.

15. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    one other thing i forgot to mention. if someone could bring a bar clamp, like those Irwin Quick Grip clamps that would be helpful.
    thanks