1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

March Meeting

Discussion in 'Cedar Rapids & Iowa City Region' started by Steph & Nick, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Steph & Nick

Steph & Nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    We had a great turn out for the tank drilling last month!  Lots of good ideas were talked about for upcoming meeting topics. 
    I wanted everyone to vote for what they would be interested in doing on Saturday March 29.  We may be able to  do two activities depending on what people are wanting.  Joe and Deb Holtzman have volunteered to host the next meeting, thank you very much!

2. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Isn't that Easter weekend? Darn, we'll be gone that weekend......

3. Steph & Nick

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Easter is the Sunday before this event, the 23rd.

4. Tina

Tina

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'd be game for all three options, althought i dont have much for test kits........

5. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Looks like 50-50 to me. 2 of the choices are photography related and could be eaily combined...

6. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What exactly would we be doing with the water quality/test kits? Actually testing water with various ones or just talking about them /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

7. Wenszoo

Wenszoo Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By phishcrazee on 03/08/2008 9:32 AM
    What exactly would we be doing with the water quality/test kits? Actually testing water with various ones or just talking about them /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif src="/site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif" align=absMiddle border=0>
    both

8. Steph & Nick

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think it would be nice to do a little bit of everything at this next meeting. We can start off with the water quality topic at 1:00, people can bring test kits and water samples if they want to participate. If people are willing to let others use their test kits to compare results we can do some of that, we can also talk about the pros and cons people have found with the different brands.

Around 2:00 we will start constructing acrylic view boxes, more info on materials cost will be posted in the next week or so. After we construct the view boxes, we will talk about different photo tips and suggestions from some of the talented photography members we have in the CR area (brian, ryan and anyone else who knows). If you are interested in making a tinted acrylic view box, please post or PM me so we can get materials ready.

Any questions, comments or concerns please post or PM me. Thanks, see you on the 29th!

9. Steph & Nick

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you are wanting to make an acrylic box please post or PM me ASAP, we will be ordering the materials this Thursday the 13th. Caleb is checking on prices for the acrylic, we should have an approximate price per box soon.

10. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I want one for sure.

-JB

11. Wenszoo

Wenszoo Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am interested in one pending price

12. CyberJester

CyberJester Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am interested in building one too.

13. Holtzman

Holtzman

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just wandering if someone as a TDS meter that they could bring to the meet, we would like to check RO water. We are having trouble with an algae outbreak.

14. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Steph1643 on 03/11/2008 7:06 PM
    If you are wanting to make an acrylic box please post or PM me ASAP, we will be ordering the materials this Thursday the 13th. Caleb is checking on prices for the acrylic, we should have an approximate price per box soon.
    We've actually made these before.  Last time I believe we just got some acrylic out of the scrap bin at Regal plastics for about nothing.  Maybe something you might want to check out.

15. Steph & Nick

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    joe and deb, we have a tds meter we can bring. are you two wanting to make a view box also?

we are wanting to make tinted sides to the viewing boxes, im not sure if that is what people had made before or not. we will for sure check the scrap bins before we buy pieces, thanks for the suggestion /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

16. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    I'm not sure what size your looking to make but I think I still have quite a few sets from the last time we did this, I wouldnt use the sides as they are kind thin and hard to work with but the bottoms would probably work just fine. If you interested let me know and I'll see if I can dig them out.

17. Steph & Nick

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thanks jason, i am waiting to hear back from caleb on what he has found. we will keep your extra pieces in mind!

18. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would like to make a box as well /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

19. Holtzman

Holtzman

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Joe and I maded a viewing box last year with the club so I don't think so, but we are looking forward to getting alot of help with water quality and general help on how to improve our tank.

20. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i'm getting supplies lined up for the viewing boxes and just want to make sure i will be setting up the size everyone wants. right now i am planning on doing the same size as the one on foster and smith which is 8x8x4. here is a link.
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16821
    please give some feedback tonight and i will get stuff lined up tomorrow. the stuff i have to order is the black sides, i will need a total number of people wanting boxes before i order so if you haven't posted saying you want one yet then post here or pm me tonight.
    ~caleb