1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

March gathering

Discussion in 'Des Moines & Ames Region' started by Guest, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

We skipped February.  I apologize for this, but no one seemed terribly interested and my starting a new job took its toll on my own interest.
    This month, that will not happen!
    I would like to get together the 22nd or 29th.  I had hoped to get up to Ames, and mentioned that last month, but there seemed to be no interest.  I figured Joel, at least, would be for it!  I'm going to see about getting the name of this forum changed to DM/Ames, thinking maybe Ames folk don't frequent it because any event is a half hour away.
    So.  22nd or 29th.  Let's stick to those choices for now.  Who can make what day, and how about Zimms on Ingersoll for a meeting place for dinner and/or drinks?

Hugs & Kisses,

ryan

2. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    22nd I can do but the 29th is the day after my birthday and I hope to be drinking the night away at some ski lodge in Colorado after snowboarding all day.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I suppose I should also say that I'm leaning toward the 22nd. Also, ryan check reefcentral.

4. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm also in if we do it on the 22nd.

I'm not opposed to Ames if there are a 3-5 people there who's tanks we can see - but if we're just driving up so some people from that way don't have to drive as far - I'd rather meet in Ankeny (I've never liked hanging out in Ames).

I'm down with Zimms. Are we gonna try and see some people's tanks before/after we eat? I think i'm gonna try to get over to JJ's this weekend or next to buy some frags, so I might actually have some stuff to show off in my tank this time!!

5. ZLTFUL

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Love the cake addition!

When you planning on going to JJs Phil? I would like to see if he has any softie frags for sale...

6. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hey didn't I reply when you mentioned Ames?? I thought I did, of course I would be up for that. My tanks would be another 30 minutes north east as you and Phil know. Is there any activity in Ames? I don't remember seeing anyone but you and AcidLittle up there and you are both in DSM now.
    Anyway, the 22nd also works best for Linda and I. I am up for it whether Ames/Ankeny/Des Moines. I am not familiar with Zimms though.

7. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Joel - Zimms is a pretty cool bar/grille with good food and a nice atmosphere for a group of 10 to hang out. It even has a back room with foosball/pool/darts if anyone likes bar games...and they have a decent shuffleboard (or whatever it's called) table in the front room.

Ryan the only thing we should check on is if they're gonna be having a band that night. Sometimes when they have a band they charge cover and its too loud to think in there...although if they are it's not like we can't go a block down to wellmans which is basically the same place but a little darker and smaller.

8. mcclandy

mcclandy

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    my weekends have been packed full this year, but would love to meet up with you guys. i would probably go for the 29th, if easter is the weekend of the 22nd (right?).

9. mcclandy

mcclandy

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    BTW, i live in ames.

10. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I can't do it on the 22nd, were out of town.

11. kgehrke

kgehrke Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I live in Ames, but my two 10 gallon tanks aren't much to look at haha. They're nice, just really really small. Either weekend would work for me.

12. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well we've been to my house twice to look at my tank. The first time I didn't even have water in the tank, and the second time it had only been up for about 2 weeks and just had a pair of clowns and LR...

Now I do only live a block away from Ryan (Holl) who has a nice tank so that may have had something to do with it - but my point is the size/status of your tank doesn't really matter - we still like to look at other people's tanks. Its a great way for us to get ideas and to share all our advice with you  [​IMG]
    However my tank actually has 3 fish (2 clowns and a tail spot blenny) and 7 SPS frags now!! So now if anyone comes and looks at it there's actually something to see.
    Well now with a couple Ames people actually chiming in maybe we should head up there and check out some tanks, I know I'd like to see Joel's again since it's been a few months and his frags should have some decent growth since then. Plus I am craving the one thing I do love about Ames - Battle's BBQ!! Even if you guys don't want to eat there, i'm getting some to go! Yum!

13. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hey, do we know what we are doing and when yet? I don't have kids this weekend. I will still try next weekend if it is in Ames especially.

14. ZLTFUL

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This weekend I am on call (can still do something but have a 20 minute call back requirement on issues) and next weekend I plan on celebrating my birthday in Colorado...

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Crap, I thought I had specified the 22nd. Let's keep it for this saturday, at zimm's on Ingersoll at 6-6:30. If there's a band or anything we can change it.

Next month let's try to get up to ames, and maybe see a couple tanks.

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    sorry... if there's a band we can change the location...

17. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think i should be in for tomorrow night, I don't have anything planned other than watching a whole lot of basketball, but obviously the games will be on at Zimms.

18. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'll be there at 6:30!