1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Mantis Shrimp Infestation!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jtown, May 18, 2009.

1. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So the past week i've noticed at night I saw what appeared to be a tiny little mantis roaming about. Last night I went down and turned the light on in my living room so I could see in the tank n saw two of them but they hide so quick I wasn't 100% sure it was a mantis. Today I took my filter sock of to clean it and inside there were 3 of them!!!

They are for sure mantis shrimp as they look like little praying mantis with a bunch of legs. They are whitish clear kinda transparent looking and I have the 3 I caught in little test tubes to examin them closely to confirm they are in fact mantis.

What does a guy do in this situation? I know there are more in there and once they get big it will be bad right? They are so small right now they can't do harm but 6 months from now I will be in trouble.

Should I be worried and how do I rid these little devils? Please help!!!

2. wolfman1973

wolfman1973 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    were are you located,i'd be interested in any mantis you catch

3. wolfman1973

wolfman1973 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i see you are from the des moines are,a little far for me,but alot of mantis shrimp that come in on live rock don't get very big.there are alot of traps you can get or make to catch them. i have herd of people using a 20 oz pop bottle and baiting it to catch them.heck set up a small tank and keep one, they are really cool pets to keep. the small ones can't break glass so a ten gal would be fine

4. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Get a wrasse or two.

5. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What type of wrasse? Will a six line eat them? And when u say they won't get big how big do u mean? Will they reproduce? They are tiny right now but don't want them to get bigger and kill fish or harm anything. Is anybody familiar with the ones I'm describing?

6. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Do your mantis shrimp look like this?
    /Portals/0/activeforums_Attach/Amphipod1.jpg

7. Jag3365

Jag3365

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't know much about mantis shrimp, but I've never seen whitish transparent ones before. Could they be the pods posted above?

8. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    LOL yes they look similar. Please tell me I'm an idiot and they are just copepods! Ha! Do pods molt tho because I just found two molts from where they shed a layer. I swear they have two little arms that look like a praying mantis but that pic above looks similar. I have em in test tubes and they swim like shrimp kinda too. Maybe I'm just a dummy and they really are pods. Ha!

9. vikubz Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Look up pics of munnid isopods. The males have big fore claws, but they don't get any bigger than a 1/8 inch.

10. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    lol i love this hobby

11. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  12. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Best part of being new to the hobby is I get to ask stupid questions and u guys get pleasure out of it! LOL. Thanks for all the help guys, after further review I'm gonna have to say I have pods not mantis! LOL. I assume that's a good thing and want several different kinds of pods rite?

13. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/rolleyes.gif/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/clap.gif/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue2.gif/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/clap.gif/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif ROTFLOL /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/w00t.gif/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/w00t.gif/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wow.gif/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wow.gif

14. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yes Pods are a GREAT thing! Kudos for asking the question though. Please don't let my ecstatic laughter keep you from asking more question, its the best way to learn the right way.

15. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It won't stop me Joel don't worst. I like when ppl get humor from my stupidity. Makes me feel useful. LOL. I showed one to my buddy in a test tube and he goes, is that a baby shrimp. LOL.

16. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Cool,

Yes tons of pods is a very good sign. More pods support more life & keeps things stable.

Just remember the next time a new guys posts "Help my tank is full of white bugs" you can help him out.

Craig

17. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Haha!!! I'm a good sport it's ok. I still swear it looks like a little praying mantis and I'm sticking to that! It's a big *** pod tho no joke! I saved it in a little test tube so I can show it to somebody else and they won't think I'm crazy. (altho I think we determined I am)