1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

making small tank

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by coral_bandit, Apr 11, 2009.

1. coral_bandit

coral_bandit Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What types of glue are safe to use in the aquarium. I'm thinking of caulk, but I don't know if the liquid nails clear caulk is safe or not. I am making the smaller tank for an observation tank/ something to keep babies in so I don't have to rush them into another tank. Just something small to keep things in temporarily

2. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Um...no caulk or liquid nails. 100% silicone and you better brace it well.

3. Slurpeshark

Slurpeshark Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i would say the same... no caulk... ive used silicone to fix a leaking 60 gal and worked like a charm. pretty cheap stuff too.

4. coral_bandit

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    what about supa gluing the whole thing together? What would acetone do to water out of curiousity

5. coral_bandit

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

ok, I found a tube of 100% silicone, it's jsut black is this ok to use?

6. Slurpeshark

Slurpeshark Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    the kind i used was clear but if its not for display and just for funtionality color shouldnt matterand it should be fine as long as its 100% silicone

7. REEFer Madness

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Superglue doesn't hold as well as you think it would. Color doesn't matter, just for looks. As long as it says 100% Silicone you're fine.

8. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +399 / 6 / -0
    I have used GE 100% silicone for years works great never had a problem. I would not use super glue it wont hurt the water as it is used for frags all the time but it wont hold a tank together.Just put masking tape on eather side of your joint the thinkness you want the seal to be don't worry about around the bottum as the trim hides it anyway. Then after you lay down your seal take your finger slitly wet it first then run it over the seal to push it in good then pull your tape off. Works like a charm it will look like a professional job.Hope this helps!
    -Bill

9. coral_bandit

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    the tank is done, 10x4x5 inches, small observation and a place to hold bangaii babies. my curiousity asks What would acetone do to the tank? I also made a hang on part for the small tank. Then need to trim up some of it.

10. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Being that the tank is done this is a bit of a moot point, but walmart has 10g tanks (just the tank) for 12 bucks and change. That even sounds bigger than what you made though.

11. coral_bandit

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    the little one works for in-tank use which is what I need it for, I just don't want to have a 20g sitting around with nothing in it. It would be easier to keep the babies in the tank for a day or so. Which then gives me some more time to dig up the 20g.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    pet store has 100% Silicone for 12.00 for a 10 oz tube and you know its for it good luck if you need a small tank cant you make it out of acrylic ?

13. coral_bandit

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yeah, the thing's pure acrylic and silicone, that I built, and it ca nhold caboose and several banggai babies.

14. REEFer Madness

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you're handy, you can use some glue called 14 or something like that that melts acrylic together. But you have to use it with a syringe and it takes a bit to get use to working with from what I hear. But since it melts the acrylic together it makes it pretty much the strongest thing you can use.

15. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    weld on number 3 and number 16, used to bond acrylic together.