1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Macna exploratory committee

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xroads, Nov 16, 2009.

1. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0

Our club is going to put in a bid to bring Macna to Des Moines.  Macna is Fall Fest for North America.  150 vendors, 1200 attendees & raffles with $50,000 of merchandise
    It will be a ton of work, but also very rewarding for the club.
    If you are interested in being on the committee please post here.
    So far we have
    Xroads
    Glaspie
    Waverz
    AJ
    JB
    Jtesdall
    Steph & nick
    Rustin
    DavidM

2. rc1214b

rc1214b

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What year would we attempt for? Considering the West Coast has been snubbed a few times I'm assuming they will hit it hard in 2011

3. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0

Actually it is a misconception that the mid west & west coast has been snubbed. They have not put in any bids. Usually only 1-2 bids a year are submitted. There have even been years that no clubs have submitted bids until asked to by Masna.

4. rc1214b

rc1214b

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hmmmm... it was years ago that I had heard something happend so it could have been a rumor

5. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sign me up. I would love to put Iowa on the map! :)

6. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    im in

7. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    I think it would be AWESOME if we could get MACNA to Iowa in 2011 or so! I live in Marshalltown so my help would be limited especially with the Iowa winter close by. If you think I might be able to help ,give me a shout and Ill see what I can do.

8. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    FYI, there are a few of us who are seriously considering a trip to MACNA 10 in Orlando next year. If we do get selected, having some MACNA experience should help a lot.

-JB

9. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Yea I'm up for helping, but that's if I'm still living in the area then! I'll be graduating next December and haven't decided what to do, that's quite a ways away.

About Orlando next year, I'm interested! Do you have any idea if you'd be flying(would be hard getting corals through customs), driving a big van, bus, train(do people still do this!)...?

10. Gered

Gered Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Interested...what do I need to do? Also interested in the trip down to Orlando. When is the event?

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am interested, but what does being on the committee entail for me?

12. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    Isn't orlando still in the US?

I will help

13. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    No, it's part of the Bahama's now.  We were unable to repel the might of the Bahaman Navy...  /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/laugh.gif/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/laugh.gif/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/laugh.gif

14. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I"m in for the commitee. can we make pickets and storm the capital :)

15. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would be most happy to be on the committee and do what I can. Just let me know!

16. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What does "put in bids" mean? I would be interested in helping but I honestly have no idea what it takes!

17. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    OK here is a few of your answers.

In the short term there wont be too much going on. We have to write a proposal to Masna as to why we would like to host a Macna show & what our qulifications are.

Macna is like the olympics, we have to bid to get it. It isnt a monetary bid, more of a bid of why we can put on a great show.

18. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am in for this. If we could get this to happen that would be great exposure for our wonderful club. Keep us posted on what is happening.

Craig I know there isn't much to do now, but when its time to start working on this, just let me know.

19. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the response xroads. I sure would be super excited to have a MACNA here. That would be super neat. I still would be interested in helping out. Let me know what it is I can do!

20. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Count me in for the trip and for helping out!!! I was considering going my self but if we could get a few club members going that would be a blast.