1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Lunar Lighting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guest, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm wonding if anyone is aware of a way to use the built-in blue LEDs in the Coralife hoods to simulate the phases of the moon...

2. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I you can plus them in seperately, an aquacontroller will turn them on and off to the phases of the moon.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    if you're talking about the aquacontroller from Neptune Systems, I emailed the company and they assured me that I would need to buy their lights to make that work. The LEDs they offer plug directly into the Lunar Controller or Aquacontollers themselves via a plug that is not a typical double prong power source like the coralife has. If I am wrong about that, i would love more information as I like the sound of Neptune Systems' products.

4. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I just looked at the manual again and it will control the lights to the Lunar Cycle but without that module they won't vary intensity. Although I was thinking that an X10 dimmable lamp module would work with the Aquacontroller somehow, but I am probably wrong about that.

5. Coralfreak

Coralfreak Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I dont know that a lamp module will work(of course I dont know for sure that it wont) as they are made to dim incandescent bulbs.  You may want to do some digging on the Neptune forum on RC, I am almost thinking I read sometime ago that someone had come up with a way to make it work. 

6. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    i would just use a seperate timer and operate them from there

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    but, is there another timer that simulates the cycles of the moon, not just simply turn them off and on.

8. jtesdall

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    There may be a device you can buy but it will probabally cost as much as the Aquacontroller. Why not buy a used ACII or ACIII? They won't dim by default, but if you want that get the ACIII with the lunar module. If you are going to go that far you might as well have a controller anyway. /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif