1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Low salinity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by beckerj3, Oct 23, 2008.

1. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +614 / 2 / -0
    So, based on the salinity test we did on my aquarium water (at our club meeting in Des Moines on Tuesday evening), my salinity is quite low - 1.021 to 1.022.  I attempted to calibrate my hydrometer today (using the article we discussed) - and that also indicated that the hydrometer has been reading high.  So, I want to raise the salinity from 1.021 (or 1.022) up to close to 1.026.  I'll be doing a water change this weekend, but that won't take care of it.  My thought is to gradually raise the salinity over the next week or two weeks by doing a top-off with salt water (at the desired salinity level), instead of topping off with freshwater.  Is that a reasonable approach?  Or am I missing something?

2. kgehrke

kgehrke Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You don't necessarily have to have your top off water at exactly 1.026 having any salt in it at all will raise your salinity.

3. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    1.021 isn't all that low. I would take your time raising it over a few waterchanges and toping off with saltwater.

4. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I take a container like a fish food or old kalkwasser container and drill holes in it. I fill it with salt and place it in my sump and let it leach slowly into the system. My container holds about two cups and it takes about a day to leach in. This has worked very well for me, make sure your holes are small and numerous.