1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Loud Fans

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BigBlue, Jan 12, 2009.

1. BigBlue

BigBlue Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Anyone have a Oceanic Biocube? I have a 14g and the fans on it have gotten really loud. I have taken apart the hood and tinkered around with them but I can't figure out what the problem is.
    Do you guys know if you can buy replacement fans for these things? I'm sure you can I just haven't found them yet lol.

2. kgehrke

kgehrke Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    These are supposed to be a good replacement but I haven't tried them yet. I have a loud fan also unfortunately and never found a solution.

http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=997-0168&MPN=KDE1205PFV1+11.MS.A.GN&R=997-0168&sid=47C4A800B57617F
    Replacements are also sold at nanotuners.com

3. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    When I got my nanocube, one of the fans was really loud. The bearings were shot. I replaced it with SilenX fans. It's so much quieter now. You can find replacement fans at many of the computer overclocking supply sites. Now keep in mind that you may end up with a fan that has a different plug than what the OEM fan is, but ultimately, if you do your homework, you can end up with better airflow and a quieter fan. When I replaced my fans, I had to use the OEM fan plugs to connect to the fan control board and I used phone wire connectors to join the new fan to the old plug. Good luck. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

--AJ

4. BigBlue

BigBlue Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the replies guys. I found replacement fans at nanotuners for 8 bucks so I think I'm going to order some of those.

5. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    apjohnson is right. Loud fans are almost always due to bad bearings. Or the blades could be dirty making them unbalanced.

6. Gered

Gered Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My fans were loud on my nanocube but guess I got used to it. Then one week I noticed it was quieter so thought I lucked out and the problem went away. Come to figure out they are dead. Not sure if its the wiring or what.

7. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would caution you as to using the OEM fans.  They are pretty crappy and don't last long.  If you do, you should plan on replacing them again after a year or two.
    --AJ

8. Gered

Gered Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Ya agreeing about the stock fans. I pulled one out and they seem to be junk already.