1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Losses due to storm- power outages?

Discussion in 'Waterloo / Cedar Falls Area' started by matt1971, Jul 13, 2009.

1. matt1971 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Lightning struck my neighbor's tree, which fell on the transformer in my back yard. Flames shot into the air during the heavy rain until a second loud pop put it out. Loss of electricity for a day and a half.
    I lost 4 nice fish and several SPS. Hope you had better luck than I did.

2. fmsill Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Im sorry to hear that. I live right off university ave and never lost power,  guess i got lucky. I know a few other people that lost power for a day as well.

3. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What did your fish die from. Overheating or what?

4. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Thats odd, I could see fish dying from lack of oxygen but that would have been remedied by stirring the water a little every once in awhile. I don't see how SPS could die that fast though...

Weird

5. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    The power line post outside my apartment on 1st st. in CF was struck by lightning, so it cracked the pole right below the top wires and they all fell into the bottom wires. I didn't have power from 3:30 AM friday morning until about 8:30 on sunday morning. I borrowed a battery powered air pump after about an hour and a half of no power and put it in my reef tank. As soon as petco opened I went there and bought their other two "Silent Airs" and had one running on my seahorse tank and the other two on my reef tank. NO LOSSES :)

By the way, WTF is with the name "Silent Air"? That's the loudest thing I've ever heard. It would have been quieter to run a generator!

6. matt1971 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    lesson learned... don't overstock. I love the look of a packed reeftank but I think it hurt me in the end. It is strange that the SPS suffered more... lack of flow? My soft corals,and especially mushrooms, did fine without power. My less packed tank suffered no losses.