1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Looks like I need a new heater.... Any thoughts?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gb387, Aug 20, 2008.

1. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just got a digital thermometer making it much easier to keep track of my water temp and now it looks like I need a new heater.  I initially thought it was kicking on when it shouldn't but didn't really dig into it any farther, just to lazy to get up and read the glass thermometer.  Now I have noticed the heater seems to have lost all its accuracy, it was set on 76 and my tank is 83.  Sitting on the couch watching I noticed it kick on even when the water temp at 83 so I cleaned the heater, removing all coraline and I bumped the temp down to 74.  I would guess I still need a new one. 
    so....
    Any suggestions?  Don't want to spend a ton, how about the heaters with the remote/digital displays?  This is for a 90 gallon and right now working on creating a reef tank out of it the old heater is a 300W Rena.

2. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Won Brothers or Ebo-Jager are my thoughts.

3. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I like the visitherm-stealth heaters and the Via-Aqua titanium... both relatively inexpensive. I haven't had good luck with the hydor's but I know others seem to like them, so maybe I was just unlucky. I would never go back to a glass heater after using both of these brands.