1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Looking to test out different halides

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by adampottebaum, Nov 1, 2009.

1. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Hey, I'm looking to buy a new halide bulb sometime in the near future for my seahorse tank, but would like to "try out" a couple different bulbs to see what I want to go with first. So if anyone has a 150watt DE HQI halide bulb they could bring to Fall Fest for me to test, I'd really appreciate it! I would also make sure it was put into the halide bulb recycling program afterwards too...

2. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Adam you do realize that an old bulb is gonna look nothing like what it would if it were new right?
    I think you would be better off telling someone what kind "look" you want and people might be more able to pick a bulb based on that.

3. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I think it kind of depends on the bulb. My Phoenix bulbs don't seem to have much color degredation at all. An old bulb looks about like a new one, but the par is just much lower.

-JB

4. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    JB, that could be true. I have had a few bulbs go from a nice white/blue to yellow over time, maybe the K drop is more noticeable in lower K bulbs like 10K's?

5. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I dunno, I've never noticed a change with my Phoenix bulbs. That's not to say that there might not be some minor changes that I'm not noticing over time, but they have definitely never gone yellow on me. It would be nice actually if there was more of a visual queue when they need to be replaced!

-JB

6. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

Yea this is what I was under the assumption too. It's fine if the par is pretty low in the bulb, the only corals I have in this tank are zoas, clove polyps, and kenya tree as of now. I just wanted to test them out with this ballast to see how it lights different bulbs. I know some ballasts have different effects on certain bulbs...

7. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yeah i've noticed that with my setup, my old hamilton ballasts and white "bell" reflector sucks for color. i've used hamilton 20k's and they aren't blue at all, kinda sucks. and my ushio 10k's are pretty yellow and they are supposedly white..