1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? Looking into getting RO/DI system

Discussion in 'Quad Cities Area' started by Cam, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Cam

Le Claire
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hey there, as the title states I'm looking into getting an ro/di system and was curious how many of you in the quad city area have found it necessary to get a booster pump. thank you in advance.

2. AdamLawrence Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0
    I'm not in the quad city area but i highly recommend getting one!

Sent from my SM-N920V via App

3. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Happen to know your water pressure on your house? If you're 50-60 or better, I think that's the recommended psi, a booster pump isn't really necessary but I think there can be benefits from running higher psi. If you're under that I would look into one right away.

4. amcvay1979

Eastern IA
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Booster pumps are really only needed if you have really low pressure, say under 30, really high TDS combined with low pressure, extremely cold input water, or if you're running 2 RO membranes with either of the above cases.

I currently have my 75 GPD unit installed that's fed from a well, PSI at membrane is around 40, TDS is as high as 1200 tds, temp is 50 degrees or so, and my membrane still produces 98% rejection rate. I run a 1 micron sediment filter, a GAC/KDF filter, Carbon block x 2 and I'm very happy with the results. I wouldn't add a permeate pump unless you know it will solve a problem, not just to try to increase performance.

5. I would recommend one to anyone, I can tell that I get less reject water. I save all my reject water for washing clothes and it takes a lot longer to fill a 55 gal barrel now than it used to without a pump.
    My ro/di kicks butt.

6. Waterrat41 Addicted Reefer GIRS Member

Des moines
    Ratings:
    +147 / 1 / -0
    Measure your water pressure before you worry about it. If you have adequate pressure and want more output you're better off running a dual membrane setup. I bought a single membrane setup with a pressure gauge to get started and once I saw I had good pressure I just ordered a second membrane upgrade kit. Had I just added a pump blindly I would have ended up having way too high of pressure and likely would have ruptured my membrane.

7. AdamLawrence Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0

Look at this. Thus may help to. Brs put on a booster pump and it preformed better and better.

Sent from my SM-N920V via App

8. Cam

Le Claire
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thank you guys for all the input. I have seen that video, well probably all the videos they have made about rodi. I just wanted to see what the community does. I have heard the pressure will drop also as the first 2 filters become more used. I may just get the system without the pump and see how it goes before I spend another $100.