1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

looking for `Wiskers` and/or /Christmas tree coral`

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gb387, Jun 26, 2008.

1. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Here is where we stand...    We have several frags with the understanding they are going to take some time to grow and look their best all in hopes of preparing for a 120 (from a 90).  I have plenty of base rock I place in the tank here and there from time to time to get additional live rock for this change over. 
    That said we are looking for something a little different, lots of color, larger almost more of a 'show piece' (for lack of a better term), something, I have found some 'Xmas coral' at a local pet store and can't seem to find any info on it, or the scientific name.  What we are looking at is live rock covered in some type of coral with lots of colorful 'feather dusters', its fun to watch, lots of color and the feather duster coming and going.  Can anyone help me out on what this stuff really is?
    Also I would like to get my hands on some 'Whiskers' (Duncan's coral), anyone out there have some for a reasonable price?  Even if it was a frag I would love to have some, I love the color of this stuff!
    Any help would be great!
    EDIT:  Should have made the subject more descriptive on the Xmas coral, too late now!~

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm guessing you saw the Porites with xmas tree worms at Adams, and unless you have a very good system of feeding filter feeders in place it is likely that the xmas tree worms will eventually die out.

3. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By ryansholl on 06/27/2008 7:08 AM
    I'm guessing you saw the Porites with xmas tree worms at Adams, and unless you have a very good system of feeding filter feeders in place it is likely that the xmas tree worms will eventually die out.
    That is the one...  thats good to know. 
    We just bought a small sponge, didn't spend much and we will see how that works out first then.   Prior to purchasing it we did some checking and it sounds like they are more difficult to take care of.
    How a bout Wiskers?  Any thoughts on them?

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Do you mean the sponge looks like it may be difficult to take care of?

Most people call whiskers "duncans". Duncanopsammia is easy to care for, they're photosynthetic and take food readily. I picked up 4 heads for $25 online, and they were considerably more colorful than the ones that adams has in stock right now.

5. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By ryansholl on 06/27/2008 9:12 AM
    Do you mean the sponge looks like it may be difficult to take care of?
    Most people call whiskers "duncans". Duncanopsammia is easy to care for, they're photosynthetic and take food readily. I picked up 4 heads for $25 online, and they were considerably more colorful than the ones that adams has in stock right now.
    Seems everywhere I read few have had success with sponges.
    Where did you get the 'Whiskers'?

6. billbigsbe Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I saw some awsome whiskers on e bay but the shipping sucks. Ive had no good luck with tube worms/feather dusters. They are awsome but you need high flow with lots of suspended food in the water column. Same with sea fans/gargonians. My friend bought some whiskers off adam about 8 mos ago, they colored up a little but not much. There huge though about 2-3 in around. I really have been liking sps and lps it has been very rewarding to me...

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I picked them up from fragglereef, but I see that miguel does not have any available at the moment.