1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

looking for plants for refugium.

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by seanndenise1, Feb 3, 2008.

1. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    im making a refugium and am looking for plants.
    who has what and a price, i would imagine we can hook up at the next frag swap.
    i already have a crapload of cheato in my sump.
    if you are reading this and dont have anything for sale but know what your talking about and can give advise on good refugium plants or algaes, advice is appreciated.
    im not in a big hurry, i still have to set it up.
    thanks.

2. Benji

Benji Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Caulerpa Pasploides

Halymenia Sp.

Botryocladia Sp.

Codium Taylori

Red Gracilaria

3. Bullet

Bullet Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I know the jury is still out on Mangroves....bit I have always had good luck with them as good nutrient exporters. Plus, they are cool!

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Are you trying for a nice looking refugium or simply looking to export nutrients?

5. seanndenise1

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By ryansholl on 02/03/2008 8:06 PM
    Are you trying for a nice looking refugium or simply looking to export nutrients? my main want is nutrient export.
    not really nice looking, but in order.
    i just want a space for plants and possibly rock. im not sure about sand because ive read that a small deep sand bed is possibly more trouble than its worth.
    i have read that there really isnt any need for anything more than cheato too, maybe just a whole tank of cheato?.
    im up for suggestions.

6. Benji

Benji Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By seanndenise1 on 02/04/2008 4:27 AM
    Posted By ryansholl on 02/03/2008 8:06 PM
    Are you trying for a nice looking refugium or simply looking to export nutrients? my main want is nutrient export.
    not really nice looking, but in order.
    i just want a space for plants and possibly rock. im not sure about sand because ive read that a small deep sand bed is possibly more trouble than its worth.
    i have read that there really isnt any need for anything more than cheato too, maybe just a whole tank of cheato?.
    im up for suggestions.
    for a relatively maintenence-free fuge primarily for nutrient export purposes. cheato only would be the best route to take.
    while a fuge with a diverse pop. of macro is more efficient[exports/breaksdown a range of organics] and aesthetically pleasing,  it will likely need/benefit from Fe supplementation[which is quite simple...see link] and other specific attention given certain species.
    http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/aug2002/chem.htm

7. Phathead

Phathead Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I run pretty much all chaeto and some of the red Gracilaria. They work great! The main thing i COULD tell you for advise is make sure you get plants that do not connect to rocks. If your plannts connect to things it begins to be a huge nuscinace. Free floating is the way to go.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Mine is chaetomorpha only and I will never again have anything anchored, except if I ever start up a seahorse tank.

9. seanndenise1

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yeah, cheato sounds like the best bet.

i have some but to tell you the truth it doesnt really grow, i have a 16 inch plant light on it, plenty of flow and i know theres organics in the water.

im gonna go get one of those cheap bulbs at lowes and try that till i get a refugium going.