1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Looking For Lighting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bela, Jun 16, 2009.

1. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By xroads on 06/17/2009 10:50 AM
    There are so many things in this hobby that works great for alot of people. There is no right or wrong, just a matter of preference.
    Thank you, Craig!  There's so much truth to what you said.  I am a metal halide user without a chiller.  To be honest, I only use a 4" Ice Cap fan exhausting air out of my stand.  If I housed my ballasts elsewhere, I wouldn't even be using it.  There are so many ways to achieve success and I think we proved that it can be done no matter which route you take. [​IMG]

2. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i run 3 250w halides and an open top and no chiller, my fishroom does get alot warmer than the rest the house though, :) I'm thinking of switching to T5's for my next tank

3. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Nice T5 thread under the SPS forum on RC

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1657091

4. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    To add more perspective, take a look at the previous Tank of the Month tanks and see what kind of lighting they use.  Link.

5. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Wow, now that thing has the best of both worlds, MH & T5.

Just imagine what all our tanks could be if we had unlimited funds to throw at them

6. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    I'm finding that most people, myself included, don't give T5's enough credit and think MH's are the best way to grow sps.
    Europeans, who are know for their innovation in this hobby, have been running T5's for years with great success.
    T5 bulbs cost less than MH's, and the general rule is replacing after about 2 years...cost savings.  Most switch MH's after 6-12 months.
    T5 fixtures typically cost less than comparable MH's...cost savings.
    T5's use less electricity...216w T5 is comparable in PAR to 400w MH's...cost savings.
    216w produces less heat than 400w...savings if a chiller might be needed.
    I'll need to confirm, but I don't believe T5's have a spectral shift as they age, they're useable until the end.
    Most people that switch to T5's experience bleaching and need to adjust their photoperiods...MH's are VERY intense, like a spot light (shimmer lines) but T5's have the same intensity through the length of the tank.  And yes, T5's can light clams on the bottom of a 21" tank...everything does not need to be directly under the lamp to flourish.
    I'll find some kewl articles and charts later!
    -Eric