1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Looking For Lighting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bela, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So I have been doing a bit of reading about lights and was trying to probe around to see what has worked for people and what has not. Part of me is leaning towards halides for the directional light they produce, not to mention the stunning shimmer. I am also looking at T5HOs simply because of the upkeep cost being less and less heat production. Or maube a mic of the two so I can get the best of both worlds? What do you all have on your tanks? My dimensions are 48" wide 24" tall 30" deep.

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Well I am a T5 guy so I will give you my side of the argument.

Yes T5 is cheaper to run, less heat. Another nice thing is you can change the color spectrum by changing out 1 bulb.

If you really want the shimmer you can also install a powerbrite module. I have heard really good feedback from them.

The only thing I would worry about is 30 inches is pretty deep. As long as you keep your high need lights up you should be ok.

3. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    30" is from front to back. The height is 24" :)

4. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    I would go with 2 250 metal hilides 10,000k and two 48" vho accentic bulbs you will get more watts then t-5 with less bulbs to replace every year

5. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Posted By ninjazx777 on 06/16/2009 12:15 PM
    I would go with 2 250 metal hilides 10,000k and two 48" vho accentic bulbs you will get more watts then t-5 with less bulbs to replace every year
    Not true,
    8 bulbs overdriven by an icecap ballast will get you 560 Watts.
    8 T5 bulbs would be the same if not less then 2 good MH bulbs.
    I keep a selection so I can change the color from whiter to bluer whenever I want. 

6. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    you can run 8 t5's off one icecap?

7. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    no, you will need 2 660's

8. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ok thats what i thought, i was going to really happy if i could do it off one cause then i'd just scrap my halides haha

9. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    what's that? LOL

10. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    660 is the standard ballast that runs T5 bulbs. It is made by Ice cap. There is good information on their site www.icecapinc.com.

Last year that the fall fest icecap sold them to members for $105 each.

11. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oh my, that is a great deal. Maybe I will wait until then to pick some up (I am in no hurry don;t even have my stand planned/made yet LOL) I was also looking at powerbrites and it says something about them not working without one of Current's other lighting systems installed as they don't have their own power? Am I reading into this wrong? An thanks much everyone for helping me out so much /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif

12. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~category~Current_USA_PowerBrite_LED_Lighting_System_Linkable_LED_Light_Fixtures~vendor~Current_USA~idProduct~CU01643~idCategory~FILTFILDLK.html

have to get the main module then you can add additional links to them :)

i have an ice cap i was going to use for VHO's with my halides on my 120, i might just scrap that idea and go with all T5's too

13. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hmm ok. Looks like I will need the base module and then at least one addon for the size tank I have. Which means more money. What an awesome hobby! LOL /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

14. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yes yes it adds up quick, wait till you start pricing plumbing supplys, some of it is outrageous! i'm going to have over a hundred bucks in just valves and unions let alone the piping i need. good luck with your build though, like i said before take your time and plan it out well. it will save you time and money in the long run :)

15. John50

John50 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If I could just ask a question here I would appreciate it. Remember I am a beginner and I have a brain disease so I screw up on details once in a while but have always been very good with eletronics and computers. I have the dual T5 fixtures with the one blue one white bulb on both our 20 gallon and 75 gallon. Now, the 20 gallon I think is fine, but I need to get a lot more wattage on the 75 gallon tank. I really like the coralife fixture that has the dual VHO's with the lunar lighting and was thinking about that but is there a lot cheaper way to accomplish the same thing?

16. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    If you want one in a self contained nice package it will probably run you $300-$400 for a 48" tank.

17. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Remember folks its not wattage we are most concerned with, its PAR. PAR tells you more about how much usable light will penetrate deeper. If you have things high T5s are awesome, if not then they aren't as good as Halides. Any disagreement there?
    Also, as far as annual cost .....  2 halide bulbs will run $100-$200 depending on what you like. With 8 T5 bulbs aren's you looking at a minimum of $160 bulb replacement costs every year? T5s work great but is there really much savings besides in heat?

18. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I am not saying MH is bad, I used it for a couple years.

Price on bulb are about the same if you replace them annually. Most really good T-5 bulbs are between $14 - $25 each. Really good MH 250's are $80 - $100 each.

I know my light bill is much lower since I have went with T-5's.

If anyone is on the fence there is a good thread on RC about t5 Q&A under the equipment section.

There are alot of really nice SPS tanks with nice montis growing on the bottom of T-5 tanks.

There are so many things in this hobby that works great for alot of people. There is no right or wrong, just a matter of preference.

19. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Are you saying that the deeper the tank is the better a T5 is? I thought it was the other way around? Am I misunderstanding something? I was also trying to consider electrical costs when factoring in overall costs for the lighting, not to mention costs of a chiller. Really I am just trying to find enough info, not only from websites, but from people with personal experience. I would like to do it right the first time rather than buy all of this nonsense and then end up finding out that I hate it or that it doesn't work. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif

20. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    No for deeper tanks a MH will have more penetration. That is why I was concerned when I thought your tanks was 36D instead of 24.

Unless your house is not airconditioned you probably wont have to run a chiller if you use t5 that is cooled properly.