1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

looking for good reef salt mix

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by calebjk, Jun 3, 2008.

1. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am wanting to get more aggressive with keeping my calcium levels in that 420 range and looking at either dosing calcium or changing my salt mix and doing a 5 gal water change twice a week on a total water volume of 50 gal.
    i think i'd prefer the water changes because if there is an ultimate salt mix i'd be replenishing everything and hopefully not messing with my ph to much.
    right now i'm using reef crystals and it's not keeping me happy.
    thanks,
    ~caleb

2. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Seachem reef salt seems to have levels very close to Natural sea levels and is very popular.

I switched to it and am very happy with it.

I know Billy Greenlee uses it and if I remember right Sone does too.

Just my 2 cents worth

eins

3. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    that's the one i've been looking at most seriously. i may order a bucket of seachem salt and also spend another $10 to try a couple small 750ml bottles of their reef builder and reef complete.

4. wesly2007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    would it be safe to do it that way or is there a better way to do it? just asking because ive been looking at seachem also and Im currently using instant ocean

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Tropic Marin is a very good salt. Been around for years and is very well regarded. Make sure to NOT... I repeat NOT buy the Pro-Reef salt. It has lower calcium levels because it is formulated for use with a CA reactor. Buy the regular or Tropic Marin Salt.

6. Anna

Anna Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've been using Seachem Reef Salt since last Winter, and I'm really happy with it. The pH in my tank ran pretty low back then (usually between 7.9-8.0), and ever since switching, it stays at a good level, right around 8.2. Everything is growing faster, and the colors are better since switching to SCRS!

7. Saddoris(DSMpunk)

Saddoris(DSMpunk)

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    If you are having problems keeping your Ca where you want it and stable, I would look at dosing 2-part.

Its easy to dose and best of all its inexpensive.