1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Looking for aggresive LPS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by IowaDiver, Jan 7, 2008.

1. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I'm looking for aggressive LPS that can fight off invasions from mushrooms and ricordeas.
    My tank is pretty much overgrown with mushrooms and ricordea. They cover and kill my zoanthids. They detach, float away and land and start growing on my frags. They are growing up the wall. They are coming out of my ears.
    I have a huge frogspawn that I had stuck in the back of the tank behind the rockwork because it was stinging some nearby zoanthids. Well, the mushrooms have pretty much taken care of the zoanthids, so now it is a war of attrition. I moved the frowspawn back and that will push the mushrooms back. The remaining zoanthids will be casualties of war. We won't forget you, our brave, fallen zoas...
    I also have a hydnophora in the middle of the tank. There is a half inch "no-mans land" around that sucker. A slow grower for me.
    So now I am looking for more corals that can fight off mushrooms and ricordea and hold their own. I've pretty much ruled out SPS and polyp/matting corals. The purple montipora I had died when mushrooms surrounded it's base, weakened it and the whole thing snapped off and fell off the rock.
    I think mushrooms have acid for blood. I haven't proven it yet, but I think they do...
    So far I can think of:
    Euphilia corals: hammer, galaxea, bubble, torch.
    Elegance coral: This would be nice but I'm not sure these do well on the rockwork, and I can't put it on the sand because I have a clam on the sand.
    Fungia plate coral: I have one orange Fungia plate and it eats any mushrooms that land on it. I wouldn't mind a purple or green fungia or a tongue coral.
    More anenomes: I have two bubble tip anenomes(wish they were rose) that are hosted by a maroon. I could get more, but I'm not sure I want to risk a run in with a roaming anenome and my two clams.
    I know a lot of you have LPS, though I don't know how many of you are in a situation like mine. Thanks for any suggestions.
    Chris

2. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm looking for interesting rics and shrooms so if you feel like grabbing a few...;-)

And as far as I know Galaxia is a threat to shrooms...and anything else it can get it's stingers into...

3. FishNewb1

FishNewb1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    if your looking for a rose i could trade you one for some ricordeas... but otherwise i dont have any lps to sell.

4. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    what color are those riccordia?

and are you going to the meeting next week in coralville.

if you are going i wouldnt mind buying some of those riccs off you.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ill buy some my self

6. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    acidlittle was just trying to get rid of some galaxy coral

7. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    For rics I have:

pink Ricordia Floridae
    green Ricordia Yuma
    orange\tan Ricordia Yuma

The orange and green are out of control. It seems the rics from florida aren't as aggressive, at least in my tank.

I'm not sure if I'm going out there or not. I'm kind of lazy when it comes to driving.

Do you think acans or blastos can hold their own against mushrooms or rics? I wouldn't mind having some of those.

I really need to get rid of my zoanthid frags as they are starting to be overtaken as well by the shrooms. I'll try and post some pics of my zoa frags and rics sometime soon to see if anyone would like to trade.