1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Looking for add on sump- undrilled tanks

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by matt1971, Feb 28, 2009.

1. matt1971 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I have a 55 and 75 reeftank and have thought about combining them in a sump. I have an extra light for growing.
    1. shared experience and ideas welcome.
    2. anything new or used for sale that would work?
    3. looking for something quiet and energy efficient.
    4. goal is to effectively be able to keep sps.
    5. I don't want a flood.

This will be my first sump and I am just starting my research.

2. billbigsbe Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    here is a idea! it looks inexpensive for this hobbie. watch all 4 parts they do a side by side comparison. Dave

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF_QporOTvo

3. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Do you mean to have both tanks up and running while sharing the same sump for filtration?

I'm actually thinking about doing that here with in the next few months. What I'm going to do is buy a bigger pump and T off the pump so it pumps to both tanks so they will have enough flow and build an over flow from my new tank and pipe it into my sump where my 72 is now going.

You just need to build your sump how you want it and pipe it to both tanks. What all would you like in your sump? Live Rock, Chaeto algae, sand, Refugium? Will your protein skimmer, pump, and other mechanical filtration be in the sump or external?

It's not that it's difficult by any means, it's just you have so many options to work with it'll feel over whelming at first, but once you build one and get it going, you'll know for next time what to do differently.

4. matt1971 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I would like live rock/chaeto and maybe room for a nice skimmer. I hear the octopus is nice.
    Which pumps are most efficient yet not very costly. What sizes do you think I'll need. Mag 7-12?
    I'll need two overflow boxes. CPR?Still not sure if I would want it separate or combine the 55 and 75 to increase the water volume.
    I've also thought about using a 100 gallon stock pond although I don't want to take up that much real estate.
    This sounds like a lot of money.Does anyone have anything used?

5. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I am running a 55, 90 and 240 off of one 55 gallon sump. The 90 is upstairs and the rest are down. The size of pump will depend on how much flow you need out of it (considering supplemental flow in the tanks) and how far you have to pump. If you are planning on pumping upstairs like mine you will need a pressure rated pump. The Mags won't cut it for this. I really like my Dolphin 4700 pump, but this is probably more than you want. So are you pumping on the same floor of to a second level?

6. matt1971 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I have a 55 and a 75 that are side by side downstairs. The sump will be next to them or across the room depending on how nice it looks. Will a big mag (like 12 ) handle this?
    Did you have problems controlling the amount of flow to each tank?
    I could use an old tank on a stand as a sump and it would be at about the same height.

7. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    A mag 12 is about 1200GPH so if you divide that between two tanks it is about 600GPH each without any head height. If you are across the room I assume you go will up over the ceiling?? If so you will lose GPH from pushing the water up. This can be significant. At 600GPH you will need supplemental flow for SPS but I am guessing you have that. Put some sort of ball valve to each tank to control flow.
    Watch out for CPR overflows. They have a bad rep of overflowing. I am actually a fan of them but you have to be diligent in their care and cleaning. Use an Aqualifter and check it daily for flow. Routinely clean the aqualifter and lines. If you don't follow these steps one day you will have a bunch of water on the floor.

8. matt1971 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for the detailed advise.
    It is just a fishroom so across the room will be okay... not up over the ceiling. Maybe even next to the reeftanks.
    Any advise besides regular maintenance that would help prevent flooding? I'd like to have a system that is pretty much worry free. I'd like to feel okay to go on a vacation once in a while!