1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Looking for a Trustee

Discussion in 'Quad Cities Area' started by Chris C., Jan 23, 2014.

1. Chris C. Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0

Good Morning Everyone,

As we get ready to start another year here in our great club, the Quad Cities Area is looking for a new Trustee. What does it mean to be a trustee? First of it means you will plan local meetings for your area. The next thing it means is that you will have a voting privaleage on the board and also will represent the needs of your area.

We are looking to fill the Trustee spot with someone that would want to do it, and then fill the assistant trustee spot. If you are interested, you can post in this area, or PM me.

Thanks

2. rockislandreefer

rockislandreefer Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello. I do understand that i am not as of yet a member...but i am interested....seems like the QCA area is dead? I would love to help bring this area back. I know were out there. We just need to find a way to get people posting again...

3. Chris C. Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    There are a lot of members in the area, but has not been a lot of activity as of lately from the that region. There is a budget though that the club has for each region to allow them to host meetings, do demonstrations, bring in a speaker, etc.

We are interested in getting someone back into the Trustee position, so local meetings can be hosted with the support of a budget in order to help educate those in the region and further the hobby. There are a couple nice stores and Coral Haven is a great sponsor in the area. The trustee position is an elected spot from the BOD and we would love to have a member that is willing to take on the position.

4. rockislandreefer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    LOL. Hello. I do spend time in coral haven. Love the place. And have plenty of space to host meetings. Education and furthering the hobby is what the meetings should be about. The only thing that has really stopped me from membership has been lack of activity....if were out there(and i know we are) I think it would be worth the effort.

5. Chlora Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

Stronghurst, IL
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    If I were you I would just become a member and then do what ever the process the board wants you to do to become trustee. Once that has been done then start getting the others involved for meetings and such.

I became a member one week before the fall Fest and started promoting people in my area so I can get a regional group started in Burlington. We have completed the process of having our ten members to become a region and am just waiting for the BOD to confirm but in the meantime I am still promoting to reach our next goal of 20 members.

Like I said if it was me I would just "take the bull by the horns" and become a member and start getting people involved while placing your offer as trustee.

Just my opinion and thought I would throw that offer out there.

6. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Heck yeah. If you spend time in coral haven I should tell you. We give a 10% discount on livestock to paid members

7. rockislandreefer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I know...lol. and have thought about that allot. I'm the guy that brings in the tubbs blue that r going nuts in my tank...lol.
    P.S. The SSC is doin great, but not sure that thats what he is.....could just be my nubness(not) but the colors are backwards from any other pic i see in my research.
    Anyways, ive never founda reason to join a club just for the local discount. More important to me is the life of that club, or more so, the people in it.

8. Chris C. Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    It sounds like it is time to join the club, and then....

Just my opinion.

9. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    As Chlora said, all it takes is one person to take the bull by the horns and get something going. If you want to get some action going in the region take the initiative. I'm sure the guys at Coral Haven will help promote anything you want to plan, and may even be willing to work with you. And Mike can surely give you more info on what it takes to be a trustee.

10. sbcsimpkins

sbcsimpkins Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am interested!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
  11. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I would for sure help anyone taking over get pointed in the right direction.

If you really want to get involved and take over the best way to do this is to simply do it. Make some post get to know some people and set up a get together or 2.

12. Chris C. Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    Hey Rockislandreefer, we would love for you to become a club member and also would love for sbcsimpkins to be a club member also!

Mthomp would be more than willing to help you guide through the process. At Coral Haven you get a 10% discount also.

The club would like to have a Trustee which is a voting position and an assistant trustee which is a non voting position. The area has so much potential and so many members. Would love to have you guys on board :)

13. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0

I 2nd what Chris has said. The BOD would really like to see this region get active again. There are many people that would be willing to help you get started. All it takes is one person to step forward and express a willingness to get the ball rolling!

14. Reefman

Reefman Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I used to live in Davenport, so I know from experience there is alot of Reefers in that area with having 2 Saltwater stores in the area that would be a good avenue to push the conversation .....

15. Firefish2014

Firefish2014

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What is the process for one of the trustee positions? I am just now getting back into the hobby after having to take a couple years off. I live in Muscatine but work in the Quad Cities. I would really like to see the Quad City area be more active like it was a few years ago. If there is anyone that would be willing to help me I would be willing to take the "bull by the horns" as some others have mentioned. I know I would need to pay for my membership which is not a problem.

16. Chris C. Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    The board will approach you soon! To start the process, bring your membership to a current status!

Then we can talk with you. There are resources in your area to help, and the board is wanting to make a commitment to helping the region become active again.

17. Reefman

Reefman Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    They seem to be already off to a good start....

18. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0

This looks very promising!!!!! Trustee positions are appointed by the elected Board of Directors. So, once you get your membership updated, let us know!

19. Firefish2014

Firefish2014

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I updated my membership this evening. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

20. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would be happy to help you in anyway I can get going and move forward. feel free to message me or visit me at Coral Haven in bettendorf.