1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Looking for a mag5/7/9.5 for new project?

Discussion in 'Quad Cities Area' started by nuccatree, Feb 5, 2009.

1. nuccatree

nuccatree

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just getting back to devote more time to my reef and am looking for a sump pump to push a decent flow with a 60" head.  Also any suggestions on making a sump for a 11x16 inch space?  At this time, I am starting to work on retro fitting a skinny trashcan. At least it will be a talking point.  Let me know if anyone has a cheap sump pump around that need to be put back to use.
    Thanks

2. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How big is your tank? 
    You maybe able to do something with a 10 gallon tank.  But you'll have to have everything else external like the skimmer and fuge.

3. nuccatree

nuccatree

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am trying to stay within the limits of the tight space. a 5.5g is still a couple inches too long. That is my I am going for the trashcan concept. Who knows, the thing my take off. I am looking to put in baffles and felt catch tray and maybe even plumb my bakpak to the side of it.

4. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    sorry, my mistake. I was thinking a 10 gallon was smaller than what it is.

You could buy some acrylic and cut to size. I know a guy who is really good with acrylic and would do it pretty cheap if you want to make it completely customized.

5. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    WHO, might that be?? [​IMG][​IMG]
    LOL.. let me know if I can help you build a sump!
    -Rick-

6. nuccatree

nuccatree

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    still need to locate a pump though.

7. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

How bigs your display tank?

That is a very small sump, is your tank drilled, or are you going to use an overflow setup?

You may run into problems with a sump that small if there is a power outage, over flowing the sump!!
    Just some food for thought.
    -Rick-

8. nuccatree

nuccatree

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, it isn't a great space to work in at all. Someone has a pre-built sump/skimmer that I am wondering what the dim are, but other than that, I have a few ideas about how to be creative. Also thinking about building one as well to fit the space. This would be a better option since by the calucations I could get something around 11g total. The power outage is definately something to keep in mind at all times though.

9. nuccatree

nuccatree

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just got the cpr cy162 sump from the FS board. Now I just have to cut the end off it removing an 1" and reattach. Should be pretty simple, but very really worked with acrylic. that much. Any suggestions. My thought is to cut it on my table saw using my fefnce as a guide to rip an inch off. From the piece I remove, use my planer to shave the edge off the piece I removed to retain the brackets and then reseal using the bondinng agent. If others have tried this and succeeded/failed let me know the trick.

10. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You can try the table saw, but you must use a blade that has fine teeth that are not offset if you can! It is more then likely cast acrylic and it will chip if the blade is to coarse.
    Are you just taking the end off of the sump? not cutting any baffles inside? If thats the case I can cut it down for you if you want to make the trek to Muscatine?
    -Rick-

11. nuccatree

nuccatree

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, just taking the ends off without rearranging the baffles. Loonks for be a simple cut. I am wanting to cut down the original end so to keep the lips the keep the drip tray and difuser in line. Wgood call on the blade. I can probably get away with using the outside blade to my dato set since it is only offset in one direction and carbide tipped.

12. nuccatree

nuccatree

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Plans changed....Just building a door that will extend out another inch. Much simpler and I am use to those materials. I just hate to chop up this great little sump. Thanks for your thoughs and ideas.