1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Looking at buying a new camera. Where to buy from?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by got2lb, Nov 24, 2007.

1. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I'm looking at buying a new digital camera and I know some of you have had good experiences buying them online.  Just curious what a good place to buy from with good prices would be?
    I'm looking for the new Canon G9.
    Thanks
    Matt

2. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I've always had good luck buying that kind of stuff from newegg.com, but they aren't really a camera store.

-JB

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  4. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Man dude, if you are gonna spend that much on a camera you might as well look at digital camcorders.....
    I'd buy a $200 camera and use the rest of the money on lenses or a photo class....
    I'm just thinking thats a crap ton of money for a camera....maybe i should come get a job a terex.
    /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/crazy.gif

5. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I already have a digital camcorder! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif This one as a matter of fact: http://www.shentech.com/pvgs300dh.html

I highly recommend it too if anyones looking for a good one!

I was actually thinking about going with a rebel XT but not sure I want to go with the DSLR quite yet. I know I wouldn't end up bringing it along with us a lot of times due to the size of it. At least with the G9 you could throw it in a coat pocket or something.

6. covey

covey

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Ritz is good and online camera places can be real shady so do your homework.

The G9 is still a rather large camera.

So is my suggestion, the updated version of my camera, the powershot S5
    http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/541161626.htm

It's done everything I asked of it including the macros.

real nice if you want to keep away from the DSLR

7. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    The G9 is actually smaller than the S5 IS

G9 - 4.2 x 2.8 x 1.7 in
    S5IS - 4.6 x 3.1 x 3.1 in
    The one thing I do like about the S5 over the G9 is the 12x zoom!

8. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The 12x zoom is amazing!!! I have the same camera as Covey and love mine for the kid shots and tank shots. It is bulky, but not horrible. I have bought from Buydig.com and a few other places online. I usually go to one of those price comparison sites and then read the feedback for each vendor with the lowest price. Some will rip you on shipping or do not carry the item in stock and you have to wait a month for them to order it and ship. Be aware of this. I did save about $100 off the camera and $200 off the camcorder by ordering online though, so well worth it IME.

9. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I was actually thinking about buying it from buydig. That's where I bought my camcorder from and had very good luck with them and they seem to have the best price on the camera that I can find. I just have to convince the wife that we need a new one! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

10. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I use cameta camera....they are awesome, only sell USA models and great prices.
    I bought my last 3 cameras from them.

eins

11. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I bought my Nikon D50 at a Cameta camera auction on ebay. Good deals.

12. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Man i now im in the market for a new camcorder, i want mini dv or hdd, doesnt have to be HD, but would like 3 CCD and image stabilization, and in the $500 range.

Any suggestions?

13. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Mine is a panasonic GS-300 and it's a very nice camcorder! I really like it anyway. I see they now replaced it with the GS-320. Do some reading up on them and decide what you really want in one. Sounds like the reviews for the 320 aren't as good as they were for the previous models. I'll gladly bring mine down if you want to check it out sometime.

14. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I've read so many reviews my head is spinning, they all have positive and negative feedback, it's just a matter of picking something at this point.

15. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    That's pretty much what I came down to at the end as well. My brother had a previous model of mine that I had the chance to play with and I really liked it so that's why I decided on the one I did.

Now that I've been looking at them again I wish I would have waited a year! The HD models have really dropped in price! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif

16. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I don t own a hd tv and probably wont for another 3-5 years atleast so i dont really need HD now, i would rather have a realy nice standard def camcorder..............

17. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    MAn this is hard, i just can't decide what i want to get. There are so many pro and cons to each model in my price range, i was going to go HDD until i started reading about how long mini dv tapes last compared to dvd's. The reason we are buying the camera is for our kid, so we want something that is going to last a very long time. I'm not really that big on editing footage anyhow so it looks like we may go for a mini dv camera...now i just need to find the right one.

18. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    All I pretty much do is record onto the Mini DV's then I transfer the video to the computer and then back it up on DVD and a spare hard drive I have to make sure I don't lose any footage. Then you can reuse the mini-dv's instead of keeping the footage on the tapes.

I have some really good software I can "loan" /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif you to help you with the video editing part of it.

19. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Posted By got2lb on 12/03/2007 7:06 PM
    All I pretty much do is record onto the Mini DV's then I transfer the video to the computer and then back it up on DVD and a spare hard drive I have to make sure I don't lose any footage. Then you can reuse the mini-dv's instead of keeping the footage on the tapes.

I have some really good software I can "loan" /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif" align="absmiddle" border="0"> you to help you with the video editing part of it.
    From what i have read the advantage of using mini dv is to archive your stuff to, by dumping to a hd or dvd you are limiting the the amount of time the data will last.  For instace some burned DVD's only last a few years before they start losing data, and i am sure you know how long hard drives last.  The thing with tape is that it lasts a VERY long time, i think what i am going to do is do what you are doing but never re-use the tapes and keep them stored somewhere safe.  It will cost a little bit more but i am sure in 20-30 years when my HD's are dead and the DVD's wont play the tapes in theory should still be fine.
    LAst night i have decided to keep shopping around, i think i may just say screw it and go with a HD camera, there's no sense in buying a standard def camera just becausei want to save a couple hundred bucks.  To me it's worth it to have my kids first steps recorded in HD.  Nexy year everything is going HD anyway, might as well plan a head for that.
    It's a lot more money but here is what i am thinking about getting now.
    http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Canon-HV20-Camcorder-Review.htm
    As far as the software, i think im good, lets just say i like to utilize my bandwith at night.

20. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Well I finally convinced the wife that we needed a new camera! WHOO HOO! Placed the order monday night!

I've been watching prices for quite a while and finally found a good deal at newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830120219

plus they have a bundle package and they threw in this 2 gb sd card for free: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16820211256
     But I also ordered a 4 gb SDHC card that's supposed to be really fast:  http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16820134475
    Got it all for $475 shipped. Not too bad of a price I guess. Should be here by Friday, I can't wait!