1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Local sources in CF/Waterloo

Discussion in 'Waterloo / Cedar Falls Area' started by ozymandias, Jun 20, 2023.

1. ozymandias

ozymandias Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    All, I have been inspired to try a pico/jar build. I know I am biting off a lot, as smaller tanks are harder to manage than large tanks, and this will be my first attempt at salt water....

That out of the way, I have been keeping freshwater pets for several decades, and have a rough understanding of the hobby.

I am interested in a jar, because I don't have room for another year or so to set up a larger tank, and I am interested in getting some practice in -- and I am hoping to be able to do so for relatively cheap -- I wont have room to spend much on stocking the tank -- which also means I am out less if I crash it.

I'm envisioning something around around the 2 gallon range (although I can go larger if I really have to), with a piece of live rock ($7.50/lb at Aquatics and Exotics), and some seeded sand ($?), as well as maybe a hermit crab ($1-$2 at Aquatics and exotics), some algae/live plants ($?), asterina starfish (possibly $0-$1 from Aquatics and Exotics) and running off a small sponge filter ($5 for the filter).

I'm *hoping* that someone local would be willing to help me with some seeded sand -- I am willing to either pay outright for the sand, or even purchase a bag of new sand, and I am hoping to find someone local that would be willing to sell me some plant trimmings or algae, and *maybe* float the brand new filter in their tank/sump for a week so it can pick up some beneficial bacteria.