1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

LiveAquaria

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Maureen, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    I did not realize that they were bought out and are no longer owned by PetCo as of July. I have not ordered fish in some time. I am wondering who has and what your experience is with the new LiveAquaria?

2. rebelman

Media, Il
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I just received 9 clownfish from Ora through LiveAquaria this past Thursday. The fish were nice and warm with 3 heat packs in the box. Not the best time of year to order fish online but I was pleased. Fed Ex pulled into my driveway around noon on Thursday. All 9 fish are still doing well. I think the guarantee has dropped to 7 days.
    Dale

3. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    It has dropped to a week and there is a box charge now as well.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  4. Waterrat41 Addicted Reefer GIRS Member

Des moines
    Ratings:
    +147 / 1 / -0
    No fish but I got some of their 2-part to try out since it was so inexpensive.
    The soda ash was kind of dirty but ok for the price. The calcium chloride was complete crap. I left it in a bucket with a pump running for hours and it never dissolved. It looks like repackaged bulk ice melt. I used it on my front steps and Liveaquaria never posted my review.

5. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    Good you found a use for it but I bet it was expensive ice melt. I am sure they did not publish the negative review. lol I found out a balance I had was given back to me in a petco gift certificate. It was in my junk mail. I never even realized it.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  6. rebelman

Media, Il
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    This was posted on the Reefbuilders Forum: LiveAquaria, the popular business to consumer website providing live corals and fish to both saltwater and freshwater hobbyists, was purchased by California-based Tropical Fish International.

Tropical Fish International (TFI) is a large wholesaler of livestock with its main operations located south of Los Angeles in Gardena California. TFI owns and operates their own freshwater farms in Thailand and Sri Lanka and operates marine collection facilities in Sri Lanka, Maldives and the Red Sea.
    Dale

7. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    It sounds like they might be good. BBB has some complaints on LiveAquaria since their acquisition but I would imagine most companies that ship live fish do. I think their selection is reduced, prices higher and then there is the reduced guarantee period and box charge. The higher prices and less selection could be problems caused by Covid. They were helpful when I talked to them, so we will see.