1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

live rock

Discussion in 'Cedar Rapids & Iowa City Region' started by mralanjones, Feb 20, 2009.

1. mralanjones

mralanjones Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I put dry fiji rock in my tank about 3 weeks ago. bought a live rock from lfs. the dry rock is starting to have brown spots on it. I am assuming it is brown algae. Is this algae you want. i don't want to get taken over by algae.

2. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That is diatom algae. It's part of the normal process of cycling your tank. After this brown algae you will start to get green hair algae. Once the green algae starts to take over you can add some inverts to munch down on the aglae while your tank continues to cycle.

3. mralanjones

mralanjones Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    that sounds good. the only thing is i have a predator tank. what kinds of inverts can i put if any. If i can't what can i put it there

4. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, lets just say if the invert is the size of the biggest preditor's mouth or smaller, I wouldn't suggest putting it in your tank.

5. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    if it work for you then i'd recommend a long spine black sea urchin, i have a huge one that eats algae like crazy, and is safe from most predators.