1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

For Sale Live rock with mushrooms and Kenya tree coral for sale

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by nickbuol, Aug 25, 2021.

1. nickbuol Here fishy, fishy, fishy...

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    House is going on the market in about 6 weeks and we are moving about 1300 miles away, so I am starting to take down my 120 gallon tank. First up is I need to thin out some live rock. Less places for the fish to hide when I get to that part.

I live in Marion.

I've seen dry rock going for about $1.50/pound as well as some plain live rock going for about $2.00/pound.

I was thinking that anything with mushrooms (I have no idea what kind they are) and/or Kenya tree would go for $2.50/pound. I have a lot of it, and most pieces are pretty large. Anything without coral on it would be sold for $1.50/pound. Yes, I will discount it the more you buy. I do NOT have buckets or boxes or tubs to go with it, so bring your own please. The rock underneath is Fuji.

Here are some photos.

20210825_191642.jpg

20210825_191648.jpg

20210825_191651.jpg

20210825_191655.jpg

20210825_191659.jpg

20210825_191704.jpg

20210825_191708.jpg

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
  2. Easy E Novice Reefkeeper Leadership Team

Shellsburg, IA
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    How much for the rocks in the 1st and 2nd photos?

3. nickbuol Here fishy, fishy, fishy...

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    The first photo is a rock about 5 inches wide, the second photo is several large rocks all connected together by mushrooms (at least 14 inches wide. I would have to really rip into things to weigh those, but I would guess a couple of pounds for the first one, and the cluster in the second photo would be a good amount more. I would just be spitballing at a weight and would guess 20-30 pounds. At "full price" of $2.50/pound, I am again just guessing $57.50 - $82.50, but I would take off 10% for that much rock.

I am generally inclined to give even more discount in person once we actually weigh things (I'm a pretty easy going guy). Just how I am. I am not looking to make big bucks here, just to clean house without giving things away for free (some of that will come at the very end with some dry goods when I get to that point).

4. Easy E Novice Reefkeeper Leadership Team

Shellsburg, IA
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    I will definitely buy the 1st one, but I don't think I have enough room for the cluster.

I'm generally inclined to buy more than what I came for, so I could take a look at what you've got when I come by and maybe get a couple more of the smaller rocks, if that's OK with you.

Will you be available this weekend?

5. nickbuol Here fishy, fishy, fishy...

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I will be around pretty much any evening Monday - Friday, and most of Saturday and Sunday. Saturday would have to be before about 4:00 pm, and Sunday would have to be after about 1:00 pm. Shoot me a PM when you have a ballpark idea of when and we can set up contact information from there.

6. AdamLawrence Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0
    Good luck on your move! That's quite a move. Are you taking the tank and equipment along with you as well? Start fresh .....

Sent from my SM-N960U1 via App

7. nickbuol Here fishy, fishy, fishy...

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I will be selling everything and staying out of the hobby for at least a year. That is what is bad about moving into a super hot housing market. We are selling now and then renting for 6 months unless we find a dream house before then. Smaller houses for more money.

Once I thin down the rock, and the remaining fish go, then the following items will be going up for sale:
    120gall tall (4ft wide) tank with factory overflows
    Tall stand
    40 gallon sump
    Skimmer
    Pump
    Heater
    LED lights (only about 4 months old)
    Auto top-off
    Powerheads
    Then a full assortment of quarantine tank items (20 gallon tank too), my 4-stage RO/DI system and water mixing/storage station, etc.

Lots to clear out over the next few weeks.

Right now, just looking to thin the rocks so that I am not chasing my tangs around (have a stunning large purple tang for example) for hours just to catch them.

8. nickbuol Here fishy, fishy, fishy...

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Rock in the first picture and the one behind the clownfish are sold and gone (thanks Easy E).

LOTS of live rock left. I've started splitting things and moving them into the newly vacated spots so that it is even easier to see how big the pieces are. Shoot me a PM and I will set something up with you. Happy to make a deal for anyone.

9. nickbuol Here fishy, fishy, fishy...

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    FYI that the live rock doesn't have any aptasia or bubble algae (two things I've been asked about in PMs, so I thought I would share here).

10. nickbuol Here fishy, fishy, fishy...

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Oh, and....

New price!

$2/pound for any live rock with corals, $1/pound for any live rock without corals. I easily have 100 pounds left if not more.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
  11. nickbuol Here fishy, fishy, fishy...

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like my skimmer and RO/DI are being sold this weekend, feel free to make me an offer on the live rock.

12. nickbuol Here fishy, fishy, fishy...

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Everything is now sold.