1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

limewater vs limestone

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bzishka, May 8, 2009.

1. Bzishka

Bzishka Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i read on an article on the net that you can use small amounts of limestone to boost calcium and alkalinity lvls in your aquarium without the inappropriate ph rise, anybody have details

2. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What method did your research provide exactly? Just dropping a chunk of limestone in the water? Ground limestone? Not that I have answers either way but it might be useful info. Did you read it off the net? Mind providing a link?

3. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Be careful, you are risking impurities dropping a limestone rock in there. Besides it will dissolve so slowly it won't a do much good. I would recommend just being safe and using Mrs. Grimes pickling lime or Kalkwasser. Mrs Grimes is at the store and is cheap.

4. crony333

crony333 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Have a family business and I just noticed that we use Food grade Lime - calcium hydroxide .  Thought i read somewhere that you can also use this.  Anyone have any info on this stuff? I get a 50lb bag of it for like 30bucks..not sure how much cheaper it would be using this stuff.

5. Bzishka

Bzishka Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i don't remember the link, it was before i had a calcium test so i didn't bother trying anything stupid ya know, anyway it also said limestone is a way to diy live rock while raising calcium, i believe in that same diy they talked about marking a spot on the ocean and within 5 yrs or so they would harvest the limestone they put there and it would be considered "aquacultured" live rock, dunno how useful that is for us in iowa, but what about adding small amounts of presoaked limestone into the sump with my live rock rubble.

6. CyberJester

CyberJester Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By bzishka on 05/11/2009 11:35 AM
    i don't remember the link, it was before i had a calcium test so i didn't bother trying anything stupid ya know, anyway it also said limestone is a way to diy live rock while raising calcium, i believe in that same diy they talked about marking a spot on the ocean and within 5 yrs or so they would harvest the limestone they put there and it would be considered "aquacultured" live rock, dunno how useful that is for us in iowa, but what about adding small amounts of presoaked limestone into the sump with my live rock rubble.
    Typically when you order florida live rock, this is what it is.
    They can no longer harvest wild live rock from the oceans, as it is illegal to do so now.
    So companies basically get limestone from inland and place in in a roped off rented area on the ocean floor and make live rock.
    From what I have heard may people have used it with great success the only down side is.  It tends to be denser and less attractive then live rock harvested from reefs.
    Also there does have an added risk of more potential for hazardous organisms native to florida to be on the rock.
    However, one should probably take the conservation effort into mind and the ecological impact of harvesting live rock from living reefs.