1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Lighting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KDaullary, Mar 31, 2008.

1. KDaullary

KDaullary Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So I am going to upgrade my lighting in my 90 gallon reef tank. I currently have compact flouresent lighting. I am either going to go with new t5ho or metal halides. I'm stocking lps and softies (accans, maze brains, zoa's, shrooms & probly a frogspawn or torch and hammer) anyway I like the priceing of t5's but how come all the t5 fictures use less wattage than the halides, yet have the same lux reading? is this correct? anyone stocking a lps tank with t5's? and if the t5ho have the same lighting output as the halides with less wattage and power usage, anyone not seea benifet to these?

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The benefits of metal halides are the shimmer, color (good color is very possible with t5s as well, don't get me wrong, it's just not quite as easy as putting in a great bulb) and being able to cram an incredible amount of light into a small package.

T5s are a great potential package, and I think probably the right one until we see luxim's new lighting hit the market (which will make every current reef lighting option completely obsolete)

http://gizmodo.com/369372/luxims-250w-tic+tac-sized-bulb-blows-away-400w-leds

3. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Wow!  Cool link Ryan!  Those are def. going to be the next step in reef lighting!  I can't believe they're getting that much light out of one tiny LED!
    Here's a video.  LINK

4. KDaullary

KDaullary Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I like how the output of the luxim bulbs are the same full spectrem compaired to the suns. But they will really have to tone that down for a fish tank. I meen 1 bulb has the ouput of a street light! So anyone else think the t5ho's are the way to go?

5. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    The street lights are 400w MH bulbs. There are actually quite a few people that use 400 w MH bulbs over there reef tanks. /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

6. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    If you are concerned about costs or heat, then T5's are the way to go and corals will probably grow great under them, but they can't duplicate the "shimmer" of metal halides. The only way to get nearly the best of both worlds (currently) is to go with LED, and you're talking a MAJOR investment.

One important note about T5's is that you need to be sure and get individual reflectors on every bulb. That makes a big difference.

-JB

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Streetlights, I believe, are mercury vapor. That or high pressure sodium. Cheaper for the output, with total disregard for color. You see that lighting in greenhouses much more than metal halide. I may be talking out of my ***, I'm only about 80% certain.
    Don't feel like looking it up this time - I'm in the middle of fragging.

8. Phathead

Phathead Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I like the T5's but I have had problems with the unit(Corallife) itself getting to hot and starting on fire and also been shocked by mine a acouple of times.  Water and electricity definetly dont mix but the coralife is escpecially  unsafe after one drop of water.  I have a couple of buddy's who have had similar incidents. 

9. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Becareful looking at the price while shopping for T5's. Not all T5's are created equal. There are a good bit of variables that can make them or break them. I have a Nova extreme T5 fixture that I feel can barely light my 55. I also have a T5 retro-fit with SLR's driven by an ice-cap 660 ballast on my 90. Both have 4 lamps but the retro-fit one throws off atleast twice the light. T5 lamps probably only last a year versus the 2 years some companies advertise.
    The only issue I have with Metal halides is the heat they give off. With out a chiller in the summer it'd be hard to keep the temp down with MH. The MH lamps do give the shimmer and cast a beauty I do not think is obtainable with T5's.
    The cost between them after setting up is pretty comparable. 2 MH lamps is close to $150 while 4-6 T5's lamps are close to the same.

10. KDaullary

KDaullary Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    After digging around the internet tonight i came across the aquactinics web site. Individual parabolic reflectors, ice cap 660 or 440(?) ballasts and your choice of bulbs. these fictures looke the part. Also, I know the "shimmer" effect is not achievable unless running the halides, but... Their is a full range of 10k 12k and 14k t5 bulbs available. I think running a combo of either 4 12k or 14k bulbs and 2 super actinics ( on a 6 light 54w fixture) or 4 12k or 14k and 3 super actinics ( on a 8 bulb 54w fixture) would create some very good and colorfull halide like lighting. good link here on the subject. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=16cc9b5f199415dfba20074685ce0a5b&threadid=1308964&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    We are working on making a new, less expensive LED system, but it won't be ready for at least a month.

12. Bullet

Bullet Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By brettstout on 03/31/2008 8:33 PM
    We are working on making a new, less expensive LED system, but it won't be ready for at least a month.
    "We"....Who is we?  Do you work/own a lighting company or is this a DIY project?

13. CyberJester

CyberJester Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By got2lb on 03/31/2008 3:14 PM
    Wow!  Cool link Ryan!  Those are def. going to be the next step in reef lighting!  I can't believe they're getting that much light out of one tiny LED!
    Here's a video.  LINK
    The new Luxim bulb is not an LED

14. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Posted By CyberJester on 04/01/2008 8:15 AM
    Posted By got2lb on 03/31/2008 3:14 PM
    Here's a video.  LINK
    The new Luxim bulb is not an LED
    You're right it's a plasma lightbulb but it's the size of a led

15. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i have the current nova extreem t5ho with 4 t5 bulbs and it's ok for my tank, but if i would have known then what i know now i would have gotten a different t5 fixture. i believe t5 is a very good option for lighting, it's just a matter for combining the right bulbs, ballasts, and reflectors.

16. kgehrke

kgehrke Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you do decide to go with the current usa route, they have an ebay account where they sell their fixtures that were sent back for cheap. I would go with the IceCap though, everybody seems to love them.

17. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By calebjk on 04/01/2008 9:09 AM
    i have the current nova extreem t5ho with 4 t5 bulbs and it's ok for my tank, but if i would have known then what i know now i would have gotten a different t5 fixture. i believe t5 is a very good option for lighting, it's just a matter for combining the right bulbs, ballasts, and reflectors.
    [​IMG]  Not sure how old your lamps are in the nova extreme but when you replace the lamps get better ones.  I had to use my nova extreme for a bit on my 90 when I blew up a icecap ballast.  I changed the lamps to the ones for my retro-fit and it probably doubled the light out put on the nova.

18. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By vvolfe1 on 04/01/2008 3:35 PM
    [​IMG]  Not sure how old your lamps are in the nova extreme but when you replace the lamps get better ones.  I had to use my nova extreme for a bit on my 90 when I blew up a icecap ballast.  I changed the lamps to the ones for my retro-fit and it probably doubled the light out put on the nova.
    that's what i'd like to do. the fixture will be a year old in august, so i plan on getting some better bulbs then. what bulbs do you recommend?

19. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

While i am very pro the use of the Luxim plasma bulbs, I don't think they are going to be the "best" answer for aquarium lighting, they lack certain benefits that you can get from LEDs, they are terrific lights but lack a few of the benefits you can get from LEDs, most importantly in my openion, is the ability to dim. But, they are certainly a viable upgrade from simple "on/off" unadjustable input MH and Flours. I have not yet read any data on the heat issue when dealing with the plasma bulbs either. They are not really designed for aquarium use, more of an industrial and streetlight application where heat isn't as much of a factor. Just my thoughts, and definitely open for debate of if anyone has any info that might sway my opinion I am very open to hearing it.

20. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Posted By brettstout on 04/02/2008 10:32 AM
    While i am very pro the use of the Luxim plasma bulbs, I don't think they are going to be the "best" answer for aquarium lighting, they lack certain benefits that you can get from LEDs, they are terrific lights but lack a few of the benefits you can get from LEDs, most importantly in my openion, is the ability to dim. But, they are certainly a viable upgrade from simple "on/off" unadjustable input MH and Flours. I have not yet read any data on the heat issue when dealing with the plasma bulbs either. They are not really designed for aquarium use, more of an industrial and streetlight application where heat isn't as much of a factor. Just my thoughts, and definitely open for debate of if anyone has any info that might sway my opinion I am very open to hearing it.
    I thought that I read somewhere that they would be dimmable.   Also, I thought part of the "Magic" behind them being so bright is that they convert more energy to light than heat vs other bulbs, so they might actually be better on both of those fronts.
    -JB