1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

lighting

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by jstngates, Jun 1, 2009.

1. jstngates Experienced Reefkeeper

Toledo Iowa
    Ratings:
    +40 / 1 / -0
    Is Odyssea lights worth the money?  t5 New 48 inch for 100?

2. bobsfish

bobsfish Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I've never owned them. But, I seriously considered it at one time....until I did a web search for reviews of Odyssea...mostly bad reviews. I opted to stay away from them.

3. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I've heard they start fires frequently. I bought the 48" PC when I first got my tank over a year ago and didn't have any problems with it other than it getting incredibly hot. The fans in it don't work at all. I ended up taking it apart and mounting the lights in a DIY canopy with extra fans. The bulbs seemed cheap so I ended up getting new.

4. matt1971 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I've had 2 48" pc 4X65 fixtures. No problems. Heard fire hazards are from their MH fixtures. Didn't produce much for growth compared to t5.

5. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    I've also heard that the fires seem to be with the MH fixtures (someone on here had a ballast flame).  If you research the lights, they don't have an UL listing - not a positive in my book.
    -Eric

6. matt1971 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    They are getting CE listed.... ie. Canada. It is cheaper for a small company to be CE listed rather than UL. If you have the money I would recommend a made in the USA light such as Current Nova Extreme. They are well built but are probably about 250. I have one and like it. Odyssea is made in China and comes with Odyssea bulbs. Is your livestock worth a lot? Do you want growth or just to be able to sustain what is there? If you really want growth I would suggest doing some research on bulbs also.

7. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    I was researching T5's and considered the Odyssea when I came across the Catalina Solar for $169 (now $275) in January.  I have a discussion thread that I started about it on RC including specs on the ballast and shots of it torn apart after I got it (curiosity).
    Current sells refurbished or cometically flawed units on eBay

I have a problem with patience but if you're not in a hurry you'll find a deal somewhere!
    -Eric

8. jstngates Experienced Reefkeeper

Toledo Iowa
    Ratings:
    +40 / 1 / -0
    hey guys i ended up buying a t5 unit brand new off of ebay odyssea brand with bulbs i only have zoos and mushrooms so i figure for 100 dollars i would atleast give it a shot. Its the same price i would have replaced my compact coralife bulbs for.

9. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Posted By jstngates on 06/03/2009 07:34 AM
    hey guys i ended up buying a t5 unit brand new off of ebay odyssea brand with bulbs i only have zoos and mushrooms so i figure for 100 dollars i would atleast give it a shot. Its the same price i would have replaced my compact coralife bulbs for.
    Good luck and post some pics!
    While I was researching T5's, I did discover that most of the bulbs are made in China by a single company, with various manufacturer's names imprinted on them so you'll probably experience similar performance.
    -Eric

10. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    I am using there 36in power compact lights for my refuge been running for close to a year with no problems. except the moon lights quit working. I thought about buying the 24 in 150hqi with t 5 fixture for my frag tank but if it might catch on fire I will have to pass.

11. jstngates Experienced Reefkeeper

Toledo Iowa
    Ratings:
    +40 / 1 / -0
    evrything seems to be doing great. my corals seem much brighter and look better since i put the new light on friday. the only problem is my xenia isnt looking good. my water is testing ok. is xenia hard to keep? a buddy of mine could never seem to keep it wither. My zoos are growing crazy though.

12. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Xenia is easy to keep as long as water params are close to right. Xenia is very temperamental to changes in light though and will whiter for a few days. I just changed my halide bulbs on Friday and my blue Xenia hasn't come back to life yet. It will in a few days so I would just wait it out.