1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Lighting ???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Matti1978, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Matti1978

Matti1978 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a 90 gal bowfront tanks with just a single floresent light. It  is a fish only tank with live rock and anemone. I am looking to upgrade the lighting but dont want to spend a fortune. What is the best way to go for me?  I am looking at this ( http://www.aquatraders.com/aquarium...vance.html ) is it a good choice? Does anyone have any experince with these?
    Thanks, Matt

2. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have their 2 250 watt halides and they work okay for me.

How's the anemone doing right now?

3. Matti1978

Matti1978 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The anemone is doing fairly well considering the poor lighting I have now, buts thats one of the main reason I want to upgrade. The light I have now came with the tank and being new to the whole salt water thing I thought it would be okay, but I am slowly learning.
    Thanks, Matt

4. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Try ebay... if you look for user 'currentusa' they sell current fixtures refurbished from the factory at great prices. I bought one and couldn't be happier.

5. CyberJester

CyberJester Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By matti1978 on 03/26/2009 10:54 PM
    I have a 90 gal bowfront tanks with just a single floresent light. It  is a fish only tank with live rock and anemone. I am looking to upgrade the lighting but dont want to spend a fortune. What is the best way to go for me?  I am looking at this ( http://www.aquatraders.com/aquarium...vance.html ) is it a good choice? Does anyone have any experince with these?
    Thanks, Matt
    Couple of things:
    1) You may want to do some research into the aquatraders fixtures, the older ones with the magnetic ballasts (MH's) have been known to start fires.  I have heard from several source that now they have switched to electronic ballasts this is not much of a problem.  So, just do some research, talk to some people and make sure you are making an informed decision when you purchase.
    2) If you do get this unit, REPLACE the bulbs immediately, the bulbs they sell with their units are junk and I would not place that bulb over my tank.  Bout the only thing I think you could successfully grow with that bulb is algae.
    3) I agree with the ebay thing, while it is hard to find a good deal on those as people end up bidding the price of a new (non-refurbished) fixture, every once and a while you can get a good deal on it.  Also, I have there Outer Orbit pro fixture and I really like the fixture itself.

6. Matti1978

Matti1978 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the imput guys. I did look on ebay, and yes it is very hard to find a bargin there.  I guess I forgot to ask about the wattage. The one I was looking at on auqatraders was 260 watts. Is that enough for me, just going to be fish only, and for the depth of my tank? ( almost 36" from light to bottom of tank.

7. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Fish only, yes that would be enough. If your anemone is fine with that single strip, it should be fine with the 260 watts. It may move around some to be comfortable with the change.

8. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think a good wattage rule of thumb is 4X the gallon rating of your system.

Oddysea fixtures are def. a buyer beware product. You get what you pay for. Spending a little extra money now will save you huge headaches in the future.