1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

lighting

Discussion in 'Cedar Rapids & Iowa City Region' started by mralanjones, Feb 19, 2009.

1. mralanjones

mralanjones Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've decided to get some reefs. looking at soft. any good ideas on the lighting i should get.

2. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Power compact would prolly be your cheapest route but still limited on output and the look of them i dont really care for. T5 the next step up would be ideal. they are fairly reasonable on price depending on the setup and how many bulbs and have good output and color to them. with basically softies im not sure you will need metal halide but sometimes you can find a retro fit kit for them and a used bulb for about as cheap as a t5 setup. i have had all 3 and i love the look of my halides but my t5's were nice as well. all depends on how much you want to spend and what size of tank your going to do. that would help us suggest lighting for you.

3. Shaun

Shaun Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    T5's are the way to go

4. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Yup... T5's or MH's are the way to go.

My first lights were PC's and I pretty much hated them.

-JB

5. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i run t5's and i like them. but i'm looking for a good excuse to switch to MH, every time i see a tank running PFO 14000K bulbs it looks so great, and you don't get that sweet shimmer with t5's. but for what you want to keep, a t5 should definately be sufficent, i keep sps with my t5's. if you go with a t5 system talk to vvolf, he has tried a lot of lamps and would have some good recommendations for you.