1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

lighting questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fmsill, Jul 17, 2009.

1. fmsill Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Currently im useing power compacts but thinking of takeing the plunge into metal halid. I have a 210 gallon tank so im thinking 3 400 watt reflectors with lumen bright reflectors would do it. The first question is are the green colored galaxy ballast any good. I know where i can pick one up for around $100.
    Im thinking i want to use electronic ballast with moguel sockets. I dont want to spend a ton of money but want something reliable. What would everone recomend.
    Bulbs- hamilton has 400 watt bulbs on sale right now for around $65 or$70. Im thinking of going with a 14k bulk because they are suposed to be a full spectrum bulb. I dont want to have to run anything but the 3 metal halids. Would this be a good option and if not what kind of bulbs 10k 12k or 14k should i use. I dont have any hard corals currently but i plan on it.

Last question i promise. Does anyone have any reflectors i would prefer lumen bright or any 400 watt electronic ballast for sale that are in good shape?

2. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    the galaxy ballasts are great ballast and 3 of those reflectors will work great. Definately go with an electronic ballast. cheaper to run and can fire more bulbs that magnetic unless you have a capicitor on it. and with the bulbs the 14ks will work just fine if you want a mix of growth and color. i have hamilton 14ks and honeslty i think they could be better, i would go with a different brand maybe but 14ks would be ok if you dont want to add actinics. i want 400s but gunna stay with my 250s till i get money haha oh and if you want 400w's look at einsteins post in the members for sale he has a couple ballast reflectors and bulbs nice stuff too

3. dzabler

dzabler Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i was wondering if you have thought about t 5's at all? I have them on my tank and love them. There pluses with the t 5s over the MH but there are also pluses with the MH over the t 5s. With the MH if you just want the 3 400 watts and no actinics you might want to look at the 20k bulbs that have the actinic spectrum in them.
    MH -
    -Closest light that mimics the sun
    -bulb life around a year
    -more expensive
    -you get the shimmering effect
    -will need fans or possibly a chiller
    -growth rates off the charts (as long as parameters are inline and routine water changes)
    -less efficient
    -awesome for a deeper water tank, you can put sps anywhere you want in the tank
    T 5's- I have HO bulbs (high output) on my tank you can also get VHO bulbs (very high output)
    -Next best thing to MH
    -not as expensive but not cheap either
    -no shimmering effect
    -bulb life can be a year to a year and a half
    -fans might be needed most likely no chiller
    -growth rate is pretty good...(i have some sps that are going crazy in my tank)
    -way more efficient that the MH
    -light does not penetrate as deep as the MH, you have to keep the sps closer to the top of the tank
    I know plenty of people with one or the other and a few that have both on their tank. I would just make sure to get that actinic spectrum in there if you really want your colors to pop. Hope this helped.

4. fmsill Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for all the great advice! I went with 400 watt galaxy electronic ballast, large lumenbright reflectors and 400 watt 20k reeflux by coralvue bulbs

5. dzabler

dzabler Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i hope you ready for some growth.. :)