1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Lighting question...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ZLTFUL, Nov 30, 2007.

1. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, we all know that the better the quality and for the most part, the quantity of light, the better your livestock will do.
    That being said, I have prided myself on the fact that I am doing well with my livestock with only 60 watts of standard flourescent lighting (4 18 inch tubes).
    I was over at Adam's today and he has several Condys in stock. Seeing only one that was only kind of bleached and the others really bleached, I was finding myself kind of angry...it didn't help that there was a Clown Tang (my favorite fish) stuck in a 20 long.
    But I digress. I got to thinking about what i would need to do to get myself a Nem and keep it alive. The first thing that popped into my head was lighting. With my current light, even a Condy would be given a death sentence in my tank. So I sauntered over(I do that occasionally...saunter that is) to the lighting and saw that he had a 20" 1x96w cf Coralife Aqualight with the quad tube, 4 pin 50/50s fixture. The more I looked at it the more I liked it.
    When I got home I took some measurments and found that with a hang on overflow(temp until I either upgrade my tank when I move or drill my tank when I move) I would be able to place 2 of these fixtures on to my tank...giving me a total of 192 watts of CF lighting to replace my current 60 watts of standard flourescent.
    I would add one fixture, and then give everything a couple of weeks to acclimate and then add the second fixture. The big plus, is that these will be easy to place into my existing homemade hood....
    This is the fixture he had:
    http://www.hellolights.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1323
    His price is about $25 higher per light and with shipping, 2 fixtures from Hellolights comes in at $213.98. And these fixtures allow VERY minimal work to fit them into my hood.
    So, if given the option, would you go that route or would you go with a 175 watt MH with standard flourescent actinics for supplemental lighting?
    Keep in mind that I will NOT have ANY SPS except maybe a monti cap or two with everything else being softies and a Nem.
    Dang this hobby and it's evil powers of persuasion...
    So, discuss...
    Ryan

2. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ryan I'd probably go T5. I'd think that the MH would heat a small tank to much. I believe that the 2 CF would also be enough light for a condy but not sure.

3. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    GUess I should have given a bit of a tank description to go along with this...

The problem with T5s is that they come no shorter than 24 inches. That would leave 4 inches of overhang on my tank. My tank is 20 wide by 18 deep by 30 tall...
    An MH would give me good par down deep but you are right, anything bigger than a 175 watter would tend to heat things up rather well. And without a sump currently, I wouldn't have that extra water volume to take away some of it. But that was never really a concern as I was planning on having an MH about 6 to 8 inches above the water.

The big thing with the CF is that it is 20 inches long by 7 inches wide and I can fit 2 of them on my tank giving me a nice wattage level...but the deep level par will not be sufficient for anything but shrooms...

4. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    192 watts of CF to 175 watts of MH? I'll take the latter. I've heard the Iwasaki 14K's have great color and PAR that is comparable to 250W MH. Depending on what color temperature you like your tank, you might not even need any supplemental actinics because they're around 14K-15K in color.

If you're crazy like most of us and you're going to be in this hobby for awhile, I would definitely go with the MH. At least you would know that you will always have enough lighting to keep just about anything(for a small setup).

5. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I'm with Sone on this one! I'd go with a 175 or even 250 watt considering the tank is 30" tall! If you go with the 175 I'd def. look into getting the iwaski 14k bulbs. You could easily get a MH retrofit for what you're going to spend on the PC lights.

6. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree with Slovan and Got2lb, go to hellolights website. and look into 175 ballasts with no heatsink or box, they are dirt cheap. I have a mogul socket i sell for next to nothing. buy the bulb and ballast and your ready.

7. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    or you can watch for 150/175 or 250 watt electronic ballasts to go on sale,and they will, then get yourself a radium bulb and skip the actinics, under 200 dollars another 26 dollars for a decent reflector..

im not sure what the par is on radiums bulbs but i do know they are very well liked.

8. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    don't you already have the 175??

I'd stick with it and either get a 14K bulb, or a 10K bulb and buy some actinic supplementation. (if it will fit)

with a tank as deep as yours, and based on your old rockwork (haven't seen your new aquascape yet) you're gonna want as much penetration as possible.

Also aren't condy's known to eat clowns?? or am I thinking of another nem species?

9. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'd do a 175 Mh or 250 Mh too. Like you said if it is up high then heat might not be as big of an issue.