1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

lighting for a 220?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by saltwaternewbee, Jul 31, 2008.

1. saltwaternewbee

saltwaternewbee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    We were wondering just how much light we're need and where to get it? thanks

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That depends on what you want to keep.

3. saltwaternewbee

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    She would like to keep SPS and LPS of all sorts...lots of colorful items.

4. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Is this your first tank?  There are so many variables in this hobby and that is why the common advice is always to do your homework, read as much as you can and especially check out other reefers setups.  As far as lighting goes, there are so many different options and what you are planning on keeping in your tank will dictate what the minimal lighting you can have and still be ok.  However, realize that most people end up wanting to keep SPS and LPS if they get into a reef tank.  It is always best to consider this fact before you buy anything.  The depth of your tank also means that you will have to have more powerful lighting than someone with a shallower tank.  There are several great threads on Reef Central about lighting, including T5's, Hallides and the newer more expensive outfits.   I was going to say that this is an area that you cannot skimp on but in reality I don't know which area you can successfully skimp on in this hobby.  Go to Reef Central and spend about 3 days reading all the posts that you can and you will learn from other peoples mistakes, what they found good and bad about their equipment and problems they encountered.  All of that great information for free!   You just have to take the time.
    Good luck and keep asking questions.  I do!

5. saltwaternewbee

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My 1st large saltwater, we have a 75 now and the 220 is my freshwater. We decided that the saltwater is a much better tank to look at with all the bright colors and interesting things going on. I was reading that with the 220 i should get 3 400 watt mh with 2 96 watt actinics if i want to have corals low. Why is the mh so expensive? Is there a place to buy them without having to mortgage the house? 

6. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I guess in this hobby as in so many things in life, "you get what you pay for".   Again I stress the importance of really doing research before you make any decisions on equipment.  When you end up buying something and then buying another to replace it when you find it inadequate, then you have spent more than you might have if you took your time.  The classified is always an option too, sometimes you can get a great deal. 

7. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I like the idea of 3 400 watts, but the compacts are a joke. I would go with T5's or at least a nice set of VHO's. Like Robyn said, equipment is best bought one time. If you research and plan properly you actually can save money by buying quality equipment from the start. I know this hobby has cost me 10 times what it should in equipment I did not need or was over priced and under rated for what I wanted.

8. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I agree!!
    You must take you're time and do you're research.
     One thing to do is to pic out the corals that you would like to keep, study what they require, then plan you're system around that.
    You will find that lighting is one area not to skimp on, get the best you can the first time!!!!!
    The 3 400w M/H sounds like you're on the right track. 
    Hope this helps,  and good luck!! 

9. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    3 400 watt halide would work on that tank no matter what you want to keep just depends were you place then with light requirements. sps up top, lps middle and softie could be down more.

10. billbigsbe Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I agree 3-400watt are the way to go!

11. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    A suggestion I'd like to make if you decide to go with MH is to go with the Lumen Bright reflectors and then you can go with the 250w bulbs and ballasts.  It would save you in electricity and less heat for the 250w vs 400w bulbs and ballasts.  I know that I'm a minority in my preference but hopefully when I get the rest of mine set up I will make some believers here!

12. saltwaternewbee

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the advise......we can't wait to see your tank done.